Annoying p8z68-v GEN3 issue

Nimue

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
So I've now replaced my ASUS board once. This is the second one of this model that I've had, but it retains the same problem, so I'm starting to think the motherboard is not the issue. Can you help me diagnose or tell me where to go?

My Machine:

700w OCZ ModXStream Pro
P8z68-v GEN3
2x Galaxy GTX460 768mb
Intel Core i7 3.4ghz 2600k
Coolermaster heatsink
16gb Corsair Vengeance Series 1600mhz (4x4)
2TB Green Drive
500gb Barracuda something or another
12x Blu-Ray Burner
Some random fans

Here's the workflow of my problem.

Issue #1: The motherboard cannot see the PCIe card, no matter what slot it's in.

The GTX 460s have been tested in other computers and work

The onboard VGA works, and with that I have run lspci, so I know it isn't being seen

The fan is running on the graphics cards, even without the PSU connectors - so it is receiving power somehow

A GeForce 8500GT has been tested in it, which requires no PSU connectors, and this does not work either.

It randomly started working for awhile and then stopped.

Connecting the video card's PSU connectors via another PSU, but still using the original PSU to power the motherboard provided no different results.

Issue #2: When both video cards are plugged in the board won't make it past post and will do a continuous beep and then two short beeps indicating that no memory was detected.

This is irrespective of what memory is in what slot, what order the memory is put in, how much memory is in, etc.

Removing the second video card fixes this issue.

Tested parts:

Drives are okay
Processor is okay
Both GPUs work outside of the machine

So, what do you think? These are really random problems to happen consistently across TWO boards, don't you think? Perhaps it's a common manufacturing problem, but do you think it could be the PSU? I can't imagine what else it could be besides those two parts. The memory is also possible because I haven't tested it outside of that machine, but I severely doubt it because it works consistently as long as the second video card isn't in.

ALL parts are under warranty because I purchased them two days ago. However, before I go and rip out my motherboard AGAIN, I'd like some help diagnosing what the problem could be and such.

It might not be a common thing but certianly not unusual to get two bad boards in a row , I have seen feedback on some items that the person got two and even three consecutive bad items before he got a good one.
One thing to keep in mind is that your time for the RMA to return to the place you bought it is 30 days from the purchase date , after that you have to deal with the manufacturer.
If the video cards work together in SLI on another computer then you know it's not the cards. The only thing other than the motherboard and the video cards is the power supply Is there a way to put in another psu into the computer to do all the computer and not just the video cards.

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

My money is on your PSU, try a different PSU and either 750W or 850W if the 'plan' is to OC. I'm not an OCZ fan either, all to often you get coil whine. If you piggybacked the other PSU without looping a paper clip geen+black (24-pin) and disconnected both its 24/CPU pin connectors then the other PSU offered no power.

Oh yeah it is!!! 2% is the industry average 'real' failure rate, so 2% of 2% is 0.04%.

Anytime I see multiple DOA's I know the purchaser killed the MOBO, 9/10 from a bad PSU or poor skills causing a dead short. Plenty enough of the so called feedback is like monkeys throwing poop around, no clue. Worst is giving themselves the highest skill level.

Nimue

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I *CAN* test another PSU. I have another modular PSU that's 550w. I'd just like to get a bunch of ideas before I go home. I have limited time due to Advanced Japanese II and Atomic Bomb in Lit. and Memory homework =P. Also, a trip to Micro Center requires an hour out of my way, plus time to sit in line, etc. It basically automatically eats three hours.

The piggyback was kinda ghetto. I had my PSU plugged into another computer with the motherboard connectors in, but I just ran two PCIe connectors over to the tower next to it. So... I'm not sure if that works. Both computers were on. Regardless, since the 8500GT didn't work, I suspect it has little to do with the PCIe PSU connectors and it seems more likely, if it is the PSU, it's the motherboard connector being wonky.

The Motherboard is seated properly, there's the proper amount of thermal paste on the CPU/Heatsink, etc. I'm relatively certain my installation was not problematic, especially since I have done this several times before on other computers. I'd say if the board is fried, it could be the PSU, but... That's new too, so...

You did try both video cards in both slots and I'm sure you did but just want to cover all the bases before you head on over to the Micro Center.
The second video card is in the white pci-e slot right? When you remove the second video card the computer works fine? The bottom slot is a x4 slot but it is a full length slot and you can put a video card in it and it will work so you could try the second video card in the black slot to see if it will work there. Then if it did that will tell you that the white pci-e slot is bad.

Nimue

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Unfortunately, the card is too wide and won't actually fit in the third slot. Could an issue with the PSU mobo connector potentially cause issues with the PCIe slots not detecting cards?

When I get home I will also try cleaning out the PCIe slot, though I suspect that won't do anything.

I know that you think the card is too wide but it will fit and I have had a card in the bottom slot before it might take a little effort in making some of the wires going to those connectors on the bottom not being in the way but it can be done and don't forget this is just a test and it's not permanent so give it a try.

machasm

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I have the pro version of this board and have not had a single problem.
There was one thing I did notice though, and that was in the BIOS there is an option to choose which Gfx card is initialised first.
Have you set yours to PCIe?
If not then that could be the answer/reason your vid cards are not working.