Eyefinity Help

ruu1989

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi, until yesterday I was using my single 23" monitor with my crossfire 5850's, and everything was great. I got an opportunity to buy two 19" (1280x1024) panels for £40 each, so I did so. Now I don't have (and have no immediate chance of finding) a DisplayPort adaptor.

Is there *any* way of setting up eyefinity with 2x HD5850 (crossfire or not), and 3 (dvi) monitors?

I dont mind running the middle panel at 1280x1024 as well, I understand the resolutions have to match.

I have currently disabled crossfire and removed the bridges, and have my main display plugged into the top card, and the 19" panels plugged into the bottom card, and this gives me 3 displays with windows extend-display, but it seems the ATi driver will only let me create eyefinity on a single card, and NOT let me use a 'slave card' for the extra monitors, is this correct?

Thanks for your time, and a happy new year to all!

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

It looks like from what I see here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ati-eyefinity,2567-3.html you're going to need a Active Display Port to DVI adapter because a single card can only support 2 monitors using DVI/VGA/HDMI simultaneously. From what I've heard there's no work around to allow one eyefinity monitor to be driven from one card and the others from another, I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly confident of that. Besides, you'll probably want to put all the monitors on one card anyway so you can enable crossfire for better performance.

ruu1989

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the response.

I've settled for an alternative solution, as I've discovered that displayport to VGA adaptors are cheap as chips and work fine. With my 19" panels only running at 1280x1024 anyway, I would power one of the 19" off dp->VGA, and the main and other 19" panel off DVI!

Just need to find a DP->VGA in Edinburgh, UK :p

~Ruu