Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build Advice

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2011 11:50:42 PM

I need a good, fast computer (my mini laptop doesn't cut it) and I want to build it. Ive researched a bit and have taken apart my my old dell, so kinda know what I'm doing, but I need someone who does know what they're doing to check it over. As with every other noob out there.

I would just list off my parts but if you insist I use the template, the fine..... But I will add pictures

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: Want to do it sometime within the week

Budget Range: <800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Light gaming, Photoshop, and web

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers... I'll use an old crt for now

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect

Country of Origin: CANADA

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU & Asus mobo

Overclocking: Yes-ish maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Naw

Monitor Resolution: Idk.... pretty low, but it doesn't matter too much

Additional Comments:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Newegg

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GH
Got only the dual core b/c this one is easily unlocked to 4 cores, correct?

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G
This onboard video will be good for now...

Crucial Ballistix 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200 RPM Bare Drive

LITE-ON Black DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - OEM

From Tiger Direct

Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler - 92mm

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT - OEM

NZXT M59-001BK M59 Gaming Mid Tower Case
I wanted something that looks cool for bragging rights lol

Masscool - Thermal Gel Resealable Tube

Total of both carts is $599

I will use the onboard graphics untill I have enough to buy a video card, and when I do it will probly be a $70 ish with dual monitors.

I guess one of my main questions is will I have enough cables, with the dvd being OEM and all, and will the mATX mobo fit in the ATX case? or the 5.5" CPU fan?

Is it a good idea to buy from two different sites? Shipping will be about $20 for tiger and $15 for newegg. I would have gone all newegg but they didn't have some of the things I wanted.

Any help is majorly apperciated.

Жaden

More about : build advice

March 7, 2011 12:34:35 AM

What I'm doing sounds crazy too. I have 3 sites, Newegg, Tigerdirect, and Amazon. Newegg and Tiger because they have things I want that either has cheaper. But Amazon offers free shipping so thats what I'd do if you want that psu/case/processor/windows 7/fan/case

If you decide to take this path this 500gb hard drive for $25 isn't a bad idea. 25 less than the one you chose. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R2GC08/ref=ord_car...

I don't have much else to add this is just from my common knowledge of weeks trying to get a perfect gaming build under $800 good luck.

Best solution

March 7, 2011 1:56:26 PM

Choose a better PSU.

This is the only PSU in the up to 650 watt class that I would buy from that website:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
Related resources
Anonymous
March 7, 2011 3:45:11 PM

Upgrade RAM from 2GB to 4GB as they are cheap now
March 8, 2011 9:31:44 AM

If u dun plan on CF that PSU would be fine ^^
March 8, 2011 9:20:34 PM

Well my mobo only has one x16, so I cant cross fire... (if thats what cf means.. lol)
March 9, 2011 8:31:04 AM

Yep if not hitting a CFable mobo then it's all good ^^
March 17, 2011 12:32:00 PM

Best answer selected by Kop4.
March 17, 2011 2:08:59 PM

@kop4 - That XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W PSU that jsc recommended is on sale at Newegg.com right now. It lists for $90 - $10 with code EMCKGJE53 - $30 Mail in Rebate = $50 AR w/ Free Shipping. That would save you $20 over the 550W you're looking at now and leaves your system with more options for future changes.

See the Toms Hardware Ranked 650W PSU list for the "XFX XXX Edition 650W" at http://rankedpsulist.dabbledb.com/publish/rankedpsulist...
!