Sign in with
Your question

Computer keeps freezing up during gaming

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2011 11:57:43 PM

Hi this is my first post and I want to apologize if I am making a mistake posting here.

I have built a home system, two to be specific. Both to almost exactly the same specification (minus the PSU. harddrive, and gpu). My first computer I built was for me and the second was for my brother. I built it the same way, and my computer has NO problems what so ever, I even went as far as to add upgrades like ram, 2nd graphic card, and such.

Meanwhile my brother's computer keeps freezing up when he plays games such as World of Warcraft and Heroes of Newerth, or any graphic intensive game. When it freezes sometimes near the system tray a bubble comes up saying something about AMD DRIVERS. So i thought it was his GPU so I switched out his for the same one I have, and it still freezes up. I switched his VGA card into my pc now I run 2 without a hitch ever. So I thought it might be his Harddrive so I upgraded him to a brand new Intel SSD 120gb fresh installed everything and it STILL FREEZES. I mean I dunno if it's his PSU. (I run 800W he runs 600W, he has a ATI HD5770 card which only needs 400W something). So I am really running out of options.

I opened his PC up, air dusted it, checked the wires it seems all set. I Also went to AMD and updated ALL his drivers. I still don't get why his PC is screwy... these 2 are my first 2 computers i built. I feel so bad because mine turned out to be a super machine, his is ok but freezes during gaming, for every day internet,homework,chatting uses it's really good but its the gaming that screws him up.

I also play WoW and other games and never ever froze once. I went to the WOW forum and the HON forums but they had no advice at all. I turned to this site because I used it to learn how to build a PC and shop for the best pieces of hardware.

Please let me know what information you need to help me. I am really out of ideas how to fix his PC... I tried everything I could as a newbie builder.

Thanks in advance I hope someone can help.
March 7, 2011 1:33:34 AM

I had a similar problem
Make sure the voltage settings for ram in the bios are correct. By default mine put the wrong ones.
Make sure ur not overheating, open the case see if the fans are extremely loud during gameplay.
Newest drivers? I assume u have the right ones
March 31, 2011 6:26:09 AM

Ok i am going to try this, not sure how to set ram voltage in bios (rather dont know the right setting but im sure i can find it somewhere online) I really hope this works, i feel so bad for my brother when he's playing some game and then it just locks up and he's dead in game.
Related resources
April 8, 2011 5:07:18 AM

My brother's motherboard just died. I think that could've been the problem all along... there was no issues with anything else I think we just got a bad M.O. It wont post or boot anymore and its only been 6 months since purchase.
December 18, 2011 3:44:52 PM

drayd2 said:
My brother's motherboard just died. I think that could've been the problem all along... there was no issues with anything else I think we just got a bad M.O. It wont post or boot anymore and its only been 6 months since purchase.

did that solve the issue because im having the same problem with my computer, but instead my brothers runs fine and its only when im gaming.
!