Is my processor dead?

asdf90091

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I've been having heating problems with my computer for the past month or so, but it was never a major issue so I ignored it. Pentium D's supposedly run hot and I was using the stock cooler, so the occasional rare shutoff didn't have me too worried.

Two nights ago, my computer shut off in the middle of browsing the internet. 5 minutes before this I had checked my processor temperature and it was under 80C. I assumed the processor had overheated like before so I left it for about 30 minutes and came back to it. The LEDs in the fans started to light up and then the PC instantly shut down. I then tried power cycling the PSU, but it still would shut down instantly.

I've had a PSU go bad on me before and it produced similar symptoms, although I had to do alot more power cycling then. Like any good techie, I unplugged everything but the 24 pin power, the cpu heatsink fan and the 4 pin cpu power. I flipped the PSU switch and tried to start it, again getting an instant shutdown.

Since the only thing still plugged in was the cpu and its heatsink, I unplugged the cpu power cable and tried it. This time it stayed on.

I then went back and plugged in everything but the cpu 4 pin and tried to start it up. It worked perfectly.

I read somewhere that the CPU smells burnt when fried, so I unseated the CPU and sniffed the underside. It did smell a little toasty, but I'm not sure if that means it's burnt or if that's from it being under high temperatures for the past 4 years.

Anyways, I'm about 99% sure the processor's dead but I wanted to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion first before I buy replacement parts for a 4 year old motherboard. Your input is appreciated.

Thanks!

the CPU power cable? are you talking abour the 4 pin connector? if your plugging this in and it fails it suggests that the psu may be faulty, or the main board/cpu has a short which is bringing down the PSU. Remove the CPU all together and try power it up, just to see if it powers on. if it does there could be a short in the cpu. What is the make and model of the PSU?

asdf90091

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Yeah, I was referring to the 4 pin connector. My PSU is a Kingwin ABT-600MA1S. Unfortunately the only connectors that aren't modular are the cpu power and the ATX connector.

I took the processor out and tried it. Still instantly shuts off. My PSU had two different 4 pin connectors and neither one worked.

How would I check the connectors to see if they're getting power?

asdf90091

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I still don't have this figured out, but I do have an update. I swapped PSU's with an older computer and my computer still wouldn't boot, but the other computer booted fine with my Kingwin PSU so I think the 4 pin cpu power cable is fine. I tested with and without the processor, still wouldn't stay on.

It's gotta be either the cpu itself or the 4 pin power socket on the motherboard. Are there any tests I could do other than migrating the processor that would tell me which component is defective?

asdf90091

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

I think my thermal paste might not have been on very good. I'll be putting some Artic Silver 5 on once I figure out what's wrong and order a replacement part. Pentium Ds always run hot but it probably shouldn't have been that hot.

asdf90091

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

If the problem was overheating, the computer would run for several minutes before shutting down, not turn off instantly. The first time I assembled my computer I didn't have the heatsink on tight and it would run for several minutes before shutting down from the heat.

I know for sure it's either the processor or the 4 pin cpu power socket on the motherboard, I just don't know how to test either one of those without a second mobo with an LGA775 socket.