Asking for best 6850 manufacturer.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Cooling
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2011 10:04:15 AM

I'm upgrading from my 4870, which has disgracefully mullered itself. The vrm is wrecked up despite I've been using an arctic twin turbo pro on it, with vrm heatsinks and the core temperature has been fine. i bought the card second hand and it was a gecube version. I don't want to make the same mistake by getting a card that overheats itself, and i do have a relatively good and opinion checked cooling system. So i'm asking on the best manufacturer to choose with their own custom cooler, with or without pre-overclocking, but mainly relying on best cooling. The gigabyte version seems to have 2 fans on the 6850 card, also i need to take into account the quietest of the sound as possible; so a bigger fan and a bigger heatsink. But i guess that the gigabyte version or msi version are the best. I have my eyes on the asus version currently though. Thankyou for your help in advance.

More about : 6850 manufacturer

a c 376 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 10:07:37 AM

The Asus DirectCU has the best cooling available on the HD6850.
January 1, 2011 10:10:04 AM

so i would be better going of with my first choice - the asus one you're suggesting. The MSI one looks better although,would the asus one be better all round because it would push more hot air our of the case rather than push it inside, unlike the msi one?
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 10:13:51 AM

No, the DirectCU is just the best at removing heat from the card, not the case. If you want a model with a closed cooler that vents heat outside of the case most of the EVGA cards do so but unless your case has particularly poor airflow I would go with the DirectCU.
January 1, 2011 10:15:57 AM

i suppose so anyway because the gigabyte version is alot more expensive, there isn't really a good source that sells it cheaper. There is a Sapphire Toxic version, which is overclocked more than the Asus one and around the same price, but i'm more interested in better cooling, and lower clocks tend to give less heat emissions.
January 1, 2011 10:18:00 AM

thanks for your opinion. It just looks quite a bit similar though to the reference cooler except it's not completely covered and not forcing all of the air outside of the case.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 10:25:52 AM

Most of the difference between it and the reference cooler is under the plastic shroud where you can't see in most pics. Newegg has pics of the card from a few angles where you can see at least the heat pipes and such.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
As for a factory OC it is pretty pointless. These cards overclock very well while keeping low temps so you should do so on your own which is a rather simple process. If you are really concerned about temps it will still OC nicely even without bumping up the voltage and at the standard voltage the effect on temps should be quite small while giving a nice performance boost;

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6850_...
As you can see they got it up to 945mhz without touching the voltage and the temps stayed around 70c.
January 1, 2011 12:11:40 PM

i'm guessing it's about only 5% slower than the 5850, in the UK, the 5850 still costs around £200 whereas this I'm seeing it for £154 - the Asus one. The cheaper ones are around £134. Something to do with the stock availability probably. But the power consumption is excellent that it is that low.
a c 234 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 3:08:59 AM

While Asus does make a good ATI/AMD based GPU, I recommend Sapphire GPUs more than any other and they are the vendor of choice in most of my systems (or the ones I build for others).

Take a good look at the user feedback at a site like newegg.com and you'll see very good ratings, in general, for Sapphire products.

Regardless, you can't really go wrong with Sapphire or Asus.

Good luck!
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 4:05:00 AM

If you go for the Asus version or any version that doesn't exhaust out the back you MUST have good case airflow,these card put out alot of heat.

In my opionin you should save up and get a 6870,they are truely spectacular and they run about 5-10c degress cooler than the 6850.

Also if you looking for a aftermarket cooler for the 68xx series their aren't many out yet,i have heard of 1 that does but it's from the older model 58xx.I'd say get the 68xx then wait a few weeks/months for the after market cooerls to come out.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 6:48:07 AM

Aren't the HD6850s on the same PCB as the HD5850? They should be able to use any aftermarket cooler that works on the HD5850 which is why they launched with non-reference cards available. I don't see the point of buying the card then spending extra on a cooler though when there are already models with good non-reference cooling like the DirectCU though.
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 7:30:02 AM

Well i was reading that something was on the opposite side of the card compared to the 58xx series making it more difficult to mount some fans...but i also have seen plently of people using lots of different aftermarket coolers so i think your okay with that.

"AMD changed the VRM module design and components in HD6 series, so the mounting hole dimension is different to HD4/5 series..."

From what i'm reading you still get the same maybe less amount of noise from using the stock cooler,but the temps do drop by around 20c
!