Temperatures

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I have a Gigabyte GAX58AUD3R MB and an i7 920 cpu and I'm running Kingston Hyper-X 1600 12GB ram
I have a single Sapphire ATI Radeon 5670 1GB gddr5
For Cooling I'm using the Corsair H55 fluid cooler. I'm using the recommended air-push set up over Corsairs recommended air-pull.

For the first year that I was running this set up I was able to average 38 degrees on avg on the cpu and 36-38 on the motherboard.

Today a year later, the temps have skyrocketed to 45-50 on the motherboard and 55-66 on the cpu????

I don't know what could be different I haven't changed anything and I'm not OC'ing at all. The only "oc'ing" I'm doing is running my ram at 1600 which is what they are rated at in the first place. The voltage and the cpu settings are all stock.

Does the H55 have a life expectation of only a year? I have a level 1 light on the cpu temperature and I have 1 light on the NB load. I don't know why my NB would be showing under level 1 load it's just sitting on the bios screen. :cry: :fou: :pfff:

Anyone have any ideas?

Please and thank you.

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
man i hate it when people assume every pc user is a slob.
I probably have one of the cleanest computers ever. I'm a network admin and I treat my pc like a precious child (mainly because I can't afford another one.)
Actually I read an article that the Corsair P55 can have contact issues and to try reseating the p55 heatsink/waterpump.
well when I went to check them I discovered 2 screws had worked their way loose... (Another thing to add to my monthly checklist)
With the loose screws the heatsink/water pump had been able to work it's way loose and wasn't maintaining full contact.
Hurrrumph - clean your computer indeed sir!

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Don't take offense, I would say the average PC user doesn't clean out their computer on a regular basis. It was a perfectly fine assumption, but in this case incorrect.

So you were you able to lower your temps then osiguy? If not post back and theres a couple other things we could try to improve your temps.

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Oh I was just being silly. I didn't really take offense... (a lot) :cry: :bounce:

Yes thank you I was able to significantly lower temps.

As of today, just two days after cleaning the surface the water pump and the top surface of the cpu, and reseating the pump, the temps are around 42 C for the cpu and around 39 C for the mb. This time I used Arctic Silver 5 instead of the crappy standard paste applied by Corsair. Big lesson learned... I figured, well Corsair does such a great job with their ram, and their pc cases... They must of course use good materials on the H50 hydro-cooler. Apparently they use the same Parafin base that all the other paste manufacturers use and it allows too much melting/re-solidifying and starts breaking down it's ability to transfer heat.

I went to manufacturer's website and read the instructions for applying Artic Silver 5 and It's working as it should so far and I'm sure after 200 hours or so it will be even cooler.
:bounce: :D :eek: So a happy end to my story.

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Moderators feel free to mark this as answered but not by any of the suggestions above. I don't want anyone thinking this questions is still ongoing.
But the things I learned might be helpful to others in the future if they have a similar issue.