P67 vs Z68 for non-overclocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhammer3025

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I'm rebuilding my PC soon, and am a little confused as to which motherboard type to go with. I'm getting a Core i5 processor, so it will have to be an Intel-based board, but beyond that I'm pretty shaky on the benefits of say, the P67 vs the Z68 if I don't intend to overclock and will be using a discrete graphics card.

Solution
The first two boards are almost identical and the third is a lot cheaper but offers less options.
I would go with the MSI-Z68A-GD55 (G3) because it has the Pci-e 3.0 and if down the road you end up with the Ivy Bridge cpu and a video card that supports the Pci-e3.0 then you woul have a much better performing Pc for gaming.
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$121.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

I don't know what your budget is or will be but this is a fairly inexpensive board and the good thing about a Z-68 chipset is it has the benefit of extra pci-e lanes in the event you want to run more than one video card plus it is pci-e 3.0 compatable for the option of having that later on without changing the motherboard.

Get Z68 so u can use the latest features in the mobo world and don't worry about OC, u don't have to use it at all.

But its so easy these days, its just push of the button on this mobo and its also great gamer board. And today has great discount to it.

MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS [strike]$169.99[/strike] $139.99 after mail-in rebate card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130622

msi-z68a-gd55-g3_extra2.jpg

warhammer3025

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
The budget for the motherboard is around $180. Budget for the total project is $680, but the further I come under that line the better. That MSI board looks good, especially because I'm a fan of MSI.

I'm also wondering if onboard audio has progressed to the point that I can leave out my old Audigy2 ZS soundcard. Wiring isn't my strongest suit, and clearing room for the card has been a hassle the last couple of systems I've built.

It has THX® TruStudio Pro™ chip support. It should be better or at least the same.

THX® TruStudio Pro™ is specially designed to bring the same great audio experience found in live performances, films, and recording studios - to the PC. THX TruStudio Pro provides the latest groundbreaking technologies that are products of years of collective experience and research by Creative and THX. Together, these technologies deliver the fullest audio experience for music, movies and games, while remaining true to the source and intention of the artists who created it.

http://www.creative.com/oem/technology/thx.asp

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

From what I've read you can get a P67 mobo that has the same features as a Z68 except for the utilization of integrated gfx. Now of course most people don't ever need integrated graphics, especially guys like us, but it can be useful if your main graphics card craps out and you have to send it in for replacement.

Beyond that, most mobos now come with pretty decent integrated audio and, depending on the price point, that audio can provide all the benefits of digital audio available. Pretty much any board over $120 will come with an above average sound chip embedded.

Both P67 and Z68 are marketted as overclocking platforms, but they also have the most features of the current chipsets. Which board you choose is largely dependent on each individual board's features. A Z68 board for the same price as a P67 board will lack a few features that the P67 board has because it provides integrated graphics.

So basically if all you want is the most features for your money and you don't care about integrated graphics, go for a P67 board.

warhammer3025

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010

Can you elaborate on what features might be missing?

This is one of my least favorite parts of PC building; I often feel like I'm trying to determine which of two apparently identical apples tastes better simply by looking at them. I just don't have enough experience or information to make what I feel comfortable calling an informed decision.

Greenless

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

That was a really good way to put it.
Im in the same boat as you and im completely lost. I was originally going to go with inzone's suggestion but nikkor's looks good too. :??:

warhammer3025

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
So I've done a little comparing on newegg, and I've winnowed my choices down to 3 boards.

MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3)
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
MSI P67A-C43 (B3)

The top two boards are comparable in price and function, the only real difference that I can see being which chipset they are made with.

The C43 is $40 cheaper and only features one PCIe 2.0 slot, but I don't see a problem with that as I will only be having a single video card (SLI/Crossfire, from what I've seen, is a sucker's bet).

The first two boards are almost identical and the third is a lot cheaper but offers less options.
I would go with the MSI-Z68A-GD55 (G3) because it has the Pci-e 3.0 and if down the road you end up with the Ivy Bridge cpu and a video card that supports the Pci-e3.0 then you woul have a much better performing Pc for gaming.

Solution
There are 3 main differences between the P67 and the Z68 chipsets. The 3 features of the Z68 are.

-Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) allows you to use a small SSD (<64GB) as a caching drive to speed boot and access times.

-Support for the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) Most Z68 boards will have build in support for the IGP. The advantages of this is that it will allow you to use the IGP for things like backup graphics and help with trouble shooting issues. Also with the LucidLogix Virtu software you switch between the IGP and the dedicated video card for the best performance for the application that you are running.

-Intel SATA III controller that is said to be better performing then the older Marvell controller that was used on the P67 boards.

So here are the differences between the Z68 and the P67.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Once they release the Ivy Bridge they are going to be getting new chipsets as well to replace the Z-68 , P67 and of course there will be new motherboards to go with them. The new chipsets will be Z77 , Z75 , H77 , B75 and the mobile equivelent.
Alot of people are waiting for Ivy Bridge thinking that the new cpu will be so much faster then Sandy Bridge but the new chips will only be slightly faster and the main draw to these new cpu's will be that they will use less power for the same or slightly better performance.

warhammer3025

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
You make a compelling argument. I temporarily forgot one of the rules of hardware shopping, "there's ALWAYS something better in a few months."

I'll just go ahead with my original timeline.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.