Sign in with
Your question

USB Working But Not Working?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 1, 2010 7:16:53 AM

I had my flash drive plugged in then plugged in my phone and both disappeared. I rebooted twice, and the computer makes the new device sound, and I can even access them in devices and printers, but not through explorer. I tried the usb in the back, I tried the usb on the monitor, I tried different usb drives, no good. The ports themselves work fine with every other usb device.

More about : usb working working

January 1, 2010 5:54:37 PM

maybe the ports don't have enough power, although it would give you a warning if that were so. maybe they dont get seen as drives (D:, E:, etc), but as devices with an unmapped storage space. . check the bottom of "my computer" tis how my mp3 player works
m
l
January 1, 2010 6:16:14 PM

No, that's not it. All the usb ports didn't lose power. Besides, my monitor's usb hub ports do the same thing. And everything plugged in via usb such as mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer, etc all still work fine.

I've read about this issue before with windows vista, I just can't seem to find the solution, and now it's happening to me with 7 ultimate.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2010 6:23:14 PM

This site sells Windows 7 Professional Full
Everything you need for work and home Windows 7 Professional includes all the Home Premium features you love and the business features your work demands. Connect to company networks and share files across the various PCs in your home. In addition, you can run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode and recover your data easily with automated back-ups to your home or business network.

This product includes 32-bit version.
Run many existing Windows XP applications
Join company networks
Recover your data with automatic backup
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2010 6:28:23 PM

So is this something that occurs when the phone is plugged in or when both the USB drive and the phone are connected? I know there was a bug with XP when plugging flash drives in when they tried to grab a letter greater than G: or H:... I can't remember which. When you have the USB flash plugged in, go to Computer Management and manually assign it a drive letter (P:, Q:, R: or whatever) and then disconnect and reconnect to see if it grabs the same letter again. If it does, then your problem just might be solved. I think what happened is when you plugged in the phone (if the phone has some sort of storage), it tried to grab the same drive letter as the flash drive... resulting in both not being seen. Mind you, they should still show up in Computer Management where you can assign both different drive letters.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2010 6:30:46 PM

seo1394 said:
This site sells Windows 7 Professional Full
Everything you need for work and home Windows 7 Professional includes all the Home Premium features you love and the business features your work demands. Connect to company networks and share files across the various PCs in your home. In addition, you can run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode and recover your data easily with automated back-ups to your home or business network.

This product includes 32-bit version.
Run many existing Windows XP applications
Join company networks
Recover your data with automatic backup

He's running Ultimate... which has all the features of Pro plus more. However, the edition of Windows in this case doesn't make any difference... it's the same for Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate.
m
l
January 2, 2010 11:53:36 PM

The problem is larger than that: I can't assign a letter to the drives, but I should have mentioned this in the beginning, my dvd drive has also disappeared. My computer only shows the C drive right now. I can access everything but only through Ultimate's disk management system. I just tried MS Word and all the drive letters show up fine. It's just in my computer which is annoying since I like using it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2010 2:04:48 PM

But if the devices are uplugged, does the DVD drive show up or not?
m
l
January 13, 2010 11:50:10 PM

Turned out it was a Windows 7 ID-10T error. lol
m
l
!