Sign in with
Your question

Display went suddenly blank (not dead)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2011 3:35:29 PM

Hello good people. I have a problem with my monitor. Normally I use my notebooks display (Fujistsu Siemens Amilo PA 3515, windows 7 ultimate) plus another monitor that I plug in. It worked flawlessly for really long time but today something happened.

I was closing something in the taskbar and by accident clicked on the CCC (catalyst control center) icon. The settings window popped up and I ,without second thought, clicked the "x" to close it. At that exact moment the display on my notebook went dark.
My other display continued to work fine.

Now the problem is, the display isnt dead (during booting it works great, in safemode it works great...) but as soon as I get to the windows log in screen(in normal mode), it stays powered on, but is completely blank. But the system still acknowledges the extended desktop.

Reinstalled drivers, CCC, changed settings in the CCC, through windows, tried removing the monitor from device manager so that windows can recognize it again, removed battery from notebook .... but nothing works and I am out of ideas.

Any ideas? I miss my dual screen :(  . Cheers.
January 2, 2011 12:01:43 AM

Have you tried system restore to the approximate time before this happened?
January 2, 2011 7:17:30 AM

Unfortunately, its turned off.

Just tried print screen and paste into Paint - it captures both screens no problem, yet I still cant see anything on the second one.

To be honest this is the most strange problem I´ve ever had in 10y of active computer use .
Related resources
January 2, 2011 12:07:37 PM

In Catalyst there should be a force TV detect that should work. This setting forces the driver to recognize the device on the other end. Try that and see if you can then change the Eyefinity settings. (or display settings)
January 2, 2011 3:21:38 PM

A little bit of update in here. I was just about to try what you suggested mister g, when I decided to nuke the old drivers and CCC(again) and try an older version. Sure enough, it helped. Eventhough I still dont know what caused it, I have a suspicion that something in the new drivers dont agree with my setup.

Thanks for your time mister g, and everyone else who read this with intention of helping.

January 2, 2011 3:50:21 PM

Good for you, I know it takes up hard drive space but I suggest you turn on system restore and restrict it to like 90 restore points so that next time you can revert ack to settings that work.
a b C Monitor
January 2, 2011 4:05:15 PM

mister g said:
Good for you, I know it takes up hard drive space but I suggest you turn on system restore and restrict it to like 90 restore points so that next time you can revert ack to settings that work.

Don't mind the 60gb it typically sucks up in Vista/Win7 and the lag it creates when the system is creating restore points. I keep it off to reduce wear on the drive and am sure the op had done the same for the same reasons.
January 2, 2011 4:38:48 PM

Oh, never noticed it on my PC, probably because I've never turned it off. Ah well.
!