Will the Maximus IV Gene-z/gen3 mobo fit 2x HD 7950s?

NewbieLemonz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I was considering possibly working a x2 Radeon 7950 CrossFire rig, but was wondering if it would fit on a Maximus IV Gene-z/Gen3 Micro ATX with x2 PCI 3.0 slots. Although on the description of the 7950 says that the fan and etc usually causes it to take up more space, is it possible to still fit it on the board???

Yes they will fit and unfortunatly that will be all you will be able to fit as they will cover the bottom x4 slot. The two full x16 slots are pci-e 3.0 so when Ivy Bridge comes out and you want to switch to one of those then you will be able to utilize the Pci-e 3.0 with the slot , video card and cpu all being pci-e 3.0 complient.

NewbieLemonz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I got the first part, but I'm pretty new to this and don't know much.. What is Ivy Bridge? And when you mention switching "one of those," what do you mean? Could you please explain. Thanks.

Ivy Bridge cpu is the next release from Intel and right now with that motherboard you would have a Sandy Bridge cpu , which doesn't support the pci-e 3.0 so those two x16 slots will be pci-e 2.1. When Intel releases that new cpu you have the option to buy the new cpu and sell the old one and you would have the ability to run your video card at pci-e 3.0.

NewbieLemonz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
So basically what you're saying is, when the new Ivy Bridge that is set to be released on March 8th comes out I can basically just switch without having to go through the trouble of obtaining a new mobo etc.

Btw what's the difference between the current Sandy Bridge and the coming Ivy Bridge? I checked up on some news regarding it and some reviews weren't exactly giving great credit to intel due to a recent performance. Although it said something about graphical improvement?

larkspur

Distinguished
The question you must ask is not whether those two cards will fit in the board (they will, it's a gaming XFire/SLI board). The question is will they fit in your case? Its a small board and usually people use small boards in small cases. Make sure your case can accommodate those very long cards.

NewbieLemonz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
well my PSU is a Corsair Professional Gold series 750W.
my case is a INWIN Dragon Slayer (16.80" x 7.70" x 16.90")

The Sapphire HD 7950 Factory OC is bout 10.5in in length right?

Believe it or not they actually make video cards that are for a x4 slot and yes you can use sound cards there as well. I have an OCZ RevoDrive that requires a x4 slot and if the back end of the slot was open you could put a regular video card in there. Thw performance would be a little less but not as much as you would think. There are also raid cards that are for the x4 slot.

tukimuki

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Sorry, guys,i don't quite understand... So, if i have Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3, a video card with PCIe3 and a i7 2600k sandy bridge, what will i have to do, when the ivy comes out, to vga to run pcie3? Sorry, never had my own build before...