Need help! on updrading my video card?

ferny12345623

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Hi Guys i have a gtx 295 and my question is, would it be an upgrade to get a hd 5870 eyefinity 6 2gb? i only use 1 monitor right now, however i would like to get a second soon.

Solution

I'm not sure what you mean by "more features", but basically the 5870 does DirectX 11 and Eyefinity. As you know, your GTX 295 does PhysX and 3D Vision. Do not buy the 5870 for DirectX 11. The 5800's do not do a very good job of DirectX 11 tesselation, which is a key feature. Similarly, unless you are extremely pressed for cash, the savings from lower power consumption will amount to something in the range of $1 per month on your electric bill. So, I would not accept lower...
Doesn't your GTX 295 support two monitors?

perfrel.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by "more features", but basically the 5870 does DirectX 11 and Eyefinity. As you know, your GTX 295 does PhysX and 3D Vision. Do not buy the 5870 for DirectX 11. The 5800's do not do a very good job of DirectX 11 tesselation, which is a key feature. Similarly, unless you are extremely pressed for cash, the savings from lower power consumption will amount to something in the range of $1 per month on your electric bill. So, I would not accept lower performance for questionable benefits from an upgrade.

If you are set on a DirectX 11 card, there are better options. The 6800's and 6900's improved their tesselation performance over the 5800's. But, really AMD is still far behind Nvidia in DirectX 11 performance. Since you only want to run two monitors, you could get a GTX 460 or 570.

Here is a list of current and pending DirectX 11 games to see if an upgrade is worth it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

Solution