Broken video card slot

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hello,

While removing my video card I broke the blue slot in half. (half remaining half fell out)

Can this be replaced or do I have to buy a new motherboard.

My motherboard is a
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

I have chosen Asus as a sub catgory although I do not know if this is correct (required)

Thanks
Larry

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hi,

I have 4 blue slots I dont know which one would be the 2nd one. Not all slots are available due due to other hardware in slots nearby.

BELOW is detail from video card specs

2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_2) (Note 1)
2 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2)

(Note 1) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.

Larry

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hi Inzone

I have found the 2nd video card slot from the video card manual.

I think I can use this slot but I will have to relocate a hard drive that right now is in the way.

Thanks for your input you have been very helpfull.

Larry

What I ment by the second slot is the next one down from the one you said you broke. If you start from the slot nearest to the cpu socket then the one closest to the cpu socket would be slot one , then the next one down is slot two. I think the owner manual will list it different but that slot actually shares bandwidth with the first slot. Acording to the manual the slot that I am refering to is the pciex8_1. It won't matter that it's a x8 slot , there is only about a 2% difference in performance.

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hi Inzone,

I'm sorry, the 2nd one down is the slot that I broke removing my Nvidia GTX 460. The 3rd one down is too close to my network card, and the 4th one down does not have room on the side of my case. My best bet is the 1st slot (nearest the CPU) but I will have to relocate my hard drive since it does not allow enough room in the length of the new card.

I have never done that before but since I cannot reach my computer repair person I will try on my own.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

Be Careful, recommended please Seek computer help if you feel you can't handle it. However *Mumbles wizardry* hmm yes this could work yes, on second thought it may be good for you to get some high experience working on this. If all else fails, RMA board but i have seen Gigabyte boards have many issues. a good example is they're UD7 has been known to Blow up/Catch on fire..

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks for the encouragement (-: so far I have relocated the hard drive. I have not unplugged anything. There is now enough room for the video card in slot 1.
I have replaced video cards before, the reason I broke the slot removing my GTX 460 was really stupid, usually I take the box and lay it flat so that I could see everything. This time I tried to remove the card box standing up, didnt see or remember the release clip and forced the card removal breaking the slot.

Real dumb

Hope all works out. I will let you know, if you see smoke you will know it didnt

Larry

bucknutty

Distinguished
Can you add a photo of the broken slot? In my 15 years of working on computers i have never seen a broken ISA/PCI/AGP/PCIe slot.

Did the slot split down the middle, or did it pull up off the board?

I think it will work fine with out the slot, however, If any of the broken pins or leads are touching they may cause a short and prevent the computer from starting.

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
With the compter turned off I cannot do screenshot. I am working with a network computer for these sessions, camera is not attached.

50% fell off competely (half with the release) the other half is fully attached and will not move.

I am getting ready to start the computer and want to be sure I have covered everything.

Larry