fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
So right now I am running:

Phenom II X2 555BE @3.2ghz

Msi 880GM-E41 Mobo

G-skill DDR3(1333) 2x2gb

HIS Radeon HD 6850

My psu, case, HDD, and optic drive are fine for my needs.

My proposed upgrades are:

Phenom II x4 970BE @3.5ghz

MSI Hawk Nvidia 560ti

I have have about $30 left for a cooler (where I need help most). My questions are, what do you think? I want your suggestions but also don't want to spend more than $450. I will be using this system for moderate gaming, light graphic design work, and surfing the net & homework.

Also should I worry about memory?

Solution
Go ahead with the X4 970 if your budget is doing OK.
Checking your other thread and I see you already have that Xigmatek Loki cooler.
I was going to suggest the X4 955 and a CPU cooler for overclocking.
Since you have the cooler already you don't need to save the $30 by getting the X4 955.

And you already know how well the GTX 560 Ti can OC.
This is with a stock 560Ti vs HD 6850 in BF:BC2

HAWK-46.jpg
Hello fools79;

My first though is get the X4 955BE. Even with the stock CPU cooler you can overclock that to 3.5Ghz easy.

I think your 4GB DDR3 1333 is OK to stay in the upgrade.

What game are you looking to improve performance on?
Also, remind us what your gaming resolution is?

You could handle the upgrade this way.

Upgrade the CPU now and test with the HD 6850.
If that improves the game performance to where you're happy - you've saved the cost of the video card upgrade.

If after testing with the OC'd X4 955 and HD 6850 you find the performance still isn't where you want it - then you can go for the video card upgrade.

The results of your testing should also help you decide how much extra graphics performance you need.

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
WR2, going off my last question and some research of my own I settled on getting the 970BE @3.5ghz because I wanted some room to OC in the future, same reason I chose the 560ti. As far as games go I want to be able to play battlefield 3 next year and Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V) this fall, Also I wanted to improve performance in WoW, Civ 5, and of course getting better settings in Crysis 2.

My resolution is 1680x1050 now that I got my new monitor.

Go ahead with the X4 970 if your budget is doing OK.
Checking your other thread and I see you already have that Xigmatek Loki cooler.
I was going to suggest the X4 955 and a CPU cooler for overclocking.
Since you have the cooler already you don't need to save the $30 by getting the X4 955.

And you already know how well the GTX 560 Ti can OC.
This is with a stock 560Ti vs HD 6850 in BF:BC2

HAWK-46.jpg

Solution

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Amazing chart by the way (you really spoil me), so I should see around 1/3 performance boost, possibly more when you take the cpu into account?
My other question is, I want to be able to use this for around two years (might update the gpu nothing else) should I even consider a 6 core cpu?

Thats how I look at it. That chart was done with the same CPU. So your CPU change, video card upgrade and the OC'ing you'll do should be an even greater boost.

Two or 3 years, maybe longer would be my guess.
A mid-life upgrade in the video card is the most common way to extend the life of a gaming system.