Sign in with
Your question

New gaming rig, ~$1500

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2011 2:26:59 PM

Hi everyone! New to the forum.

My system is four years old, and I've started to look into specs for getting a new one very soon.

I'd like to spend around $1500, which is by no means a maximum. Just a ballpark.

I am not interested in overclocking or any kind of sheer craziness. I just want a solid, reliable machine that's going to last me another few years or longer. (I would also like to run fairly quiet. My current system sounds a bit like a jet engine when I'm trying to sleep.)

I got a few quotes from my favourite computer shop. The most promising one so far is as follows:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (Not as fast as current Intels, but better value, I think.)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard
Antec Sonata IV case (using stock 620w PSU, it's got a 120mm fan, probably pretty quiet. May mod it with some additional thin sound insulation)
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB (system/progs disk)
Western Digital Caviar Green 2T (media disk)
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4X2GB) 1600MHz DD3
Asus EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 DirectCU ATI Radeon (decently powerful, and got pretty good reviews on silentpc.com)
Windows 7 Home (A little concerned about running older games, but I won't care when Diablo 3 launches. Haha.)
Scythe Yasya CPU fan (Not really necessary if not overclocking? I don't know. I feel better having a big CPU fan.)

To be honest, I really wanted to go with a SSD for the system disk, on account of the loading speed and silence issue... but SSDs are still a lot of money for the space, and OCZ's Vertex 3 is hitting the shelves soon anyway, so getting a Vertex 2 would be straight up flushing away money. I think for a non-enthusiast machine, the Caviar Black is just plain the way to go, value-wise.

So... any ideas?

More about : gaming rig 1500

Anonymous
March 7, 2011 3:17:20 PM

Nothing is more future proof than the Sandy bridge

!