Pentium 4 and 8800GTS

So my friend just said he would let me have his Nvidia 8800GTS that he had in his old system. I have everything to properly run it except for a Pentium 4 HT 3.00GHZ in the system. He is willing to sell it for $20.00 and I figured that even with my processor it is still a good buy. Can I just underclock it so it will work with my processor?? or can I just put it in and just deal with the bottleneck??. I figure that at $20.00 I can deal with a big bottleneck. He has only used the card for a month. What do you think?
4 answers Last reply
More about pentium 8800gts
  1. It will work if you have a slot for it and your PSU can handle it, the GPU is just not going to run at its full potential
  2. Yeah, I don't mind if it's not at full potential. I will definatly be getting a new computer in the future anyways. And my PSU is a dell 375W psu with 30A on the 12V rail, so I'm not sure if I'm good there or not but I heard people were able to run some pretty big cards with that PSU.
  3. The 375watt Dell is equal to many lesser 450watt units so you are fine there.
  4. Okay, thanks!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Pentium Processors Graphics