I have a question about my homebuilt computer. For reference, I have;

Gigabyte MOBO (GA EP45 UD3P)
Intel E8400, with a Xigmatek Heatsink
XFX ATi 5850
Be Quiet! 650w PSU
Seagate HDD
Coolermaster CM690 Case

I think that is everything, so here is a description of my problem;

Whenever I turn my computer on, it never starts up properly. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago, when I was at uni, the only thing that would "remedy" the problem, was if I pulled the plug out and then plugged it back in... Obviously not the most healthy thing to do! But, it then the computer would start as normal at the time, I had my E8400 overclocked at 3.6Ghz, but I found it easier to leave it at the stock 3Ghz because the BIOS would keep going into a loop if I wanted my CPU at 3.6Ghz (I hope that makes sense). Anyway, I looked on the internet and found something that seemed like my problem and they recommended clearing the CMOS, so I took the battery out and put the case back together, and it seemed to work for the first couple of times, but my computer went back to only starting up by unplugging and quickly replugging the PSU cable in. I got home the other day and I though I'll check the cables reset the CMOS and have a look what was happening with the case open... I looked inside and sure enough my CPU's heatsink wasn't starting up at all.

Now, my question;

Is this a problem with my PSU or my CPU? I'm not sure whether I should reseat my CPU or consider buying a new PSU. Or whether the issue is related to something else?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very thankful! and If anyone needs any information, feel free to ask.

Many thanks

Rob

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hey,

Thanks for the reply, and also thanks for the link. I did the paper clip test 3 times, just to triple check, and each time the PSU fan started up. I wasn't quite sure what else to look for, but I don't think it is a problem there. Also, with my computer all opened up and on the table, I connected everything back up... turned it on, and the CPU heatsink, still would not start up untill I has flicked the PSU switch back and forth a couple of times.

Is it worth doing the paperclip test with only my CPU connected, or would that be damaging? The only thing that I could think of, is if the CMOS battery is too old, I have had the computer almost two years... but can't imagine why that would be the problem...

Anymore help would be gladly appreciated and thanks again Ghnader

Rob

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Just for other information, the only other things that may or may not have contributed to the problem are;

When I moved to uni, the rooms were apparently only supplied with 500watts of power, so they asked everyone to fit their appliances with 3amp fuses. I guess this was mainly for things such as hairdryers that can use up to 1200watts and then trip the electrics. So, because I had a 650watt PSU, I thought that I had better change the fuse from 5amps to 3 amps. However since coming back home, I have changed the fuse back to 5amps, but the problem described above still persists....

They only other thing I can think of is, whether something got knocked when in transit back and forth from Uni, but It has only left my home/uni twice and my computer worked just fine for a few months when I was at uni, then the described problem began to happen.

I think that is about it

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Ok, after some more investigative work... I'm not even sure if the problem is to do with the CPU...

I flicked the O/I switch on and off to get my computer to work - I guess this works a little like a jump start? Anyway, I noticed that there was something wrong with the GPU on my HD5850, when the computer would power everything up, the fan on the GPU would run a little faster than it had done before (NOTE: the fan always worked with the HD5850.) After the GPU's fan sped up, the CPU would then kick in and the computer would work again.

Now, I swapped the HD5850 for my old HD4830... Hoping that this GPU would help fix the problem. However, the problem still persisted, although before the computer would work actually work the fan on the HD4830 would not move at all and there was a little red LED that had turned on - I guess this was because it didn't have any power? again I flicked the O/I switch on my PSU and then the HD4830 had power, the fan started to work and in turn the CPU worked and then it went through the POST screens.

I'm really confused, because the PSU seems to supply power, but it just won't work without a nudge back and forth of the O/I switch

:??:

Hydroz0rz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Im glad I saw this as I can help for sure. I myself had a be quiet 650watt and exactly the same happened to me. Gfx/cpu fan spinning up pretty loud then it calmed into a boot. I also had to flick the on/off switch on the PSU for a boot. I struggled so hard to find an answer. It will also develop into the PC losing power suddenly.

Basically the unit you and I had have over/under volt protection which basically tells the PSU to shut off if anything is wrong with voltage. Its this that has gone wrong.

I just today purchased another PSU and it has booted perfectly 4-5 times now so im am 100% sure you have a faulty PSU like I did.

Its awful when this happens as It could be RAM could be a broken motherboard but when you think about it properly having to flick the on off switch to boot, it has to be the PSU.

Go buy another PSU bud and youll be good to go.

Hope this helps.