Asrock z68 extreme4 gen3 wont boot

vaultar

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Hi,

Having probs getting the mb to work.

During the week or two I have been buying pc components to build my new comp.

Here are the things I bought.

Zotac GeForce GTX 570
i5 2500k CPU
AsRock z68 Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair TX-850 ATX Power Supply
G. Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit DDR3 1600
Corsair Force Series 3 120G SSD
Antec 300 Case

Also note that I am using Coolmaster Hyper 212 as a heatsink+fan solution for the cpu.

Yesterday I spent the entire day building the computer. In the end however, it just won't boot up. When I turn on the psu power switch, the cpu fan would spin for some seconds and stop. That is the only sign of life. I have psu connected to 8pin and 24pin as well as the cpu fan connected to cpu fan 4-pin.

The things I have tried:

Having only cpu (with heatsink+fan) connected only along with the psu.

Having cpu and mb connected along with psu.

Having cpu, mb and video card connected along with psu.

Checking how cpu sat in the cpu slot and reseating it along with heatsink+fan.

Ensuring the heatsink sat firmly on the cpu.

Taking out the cmos battery for 20 secs and reseating it.

having only psu 4pins connected in either psu 4pin connection.

Replacing the psu with my old psu that I used previously with my old pc. It is Thermaltake 420W. I used it while having only the cpu connected. Thermaltake did not work (the cpu fan also just spinned for a few seconds before stopping) so it is not a psu issue.

My suspicions:

When i first mounted the coolmaster 212, i accidently forgot all about the metal plated bracket that attaches from the bottom of the mb so that i tightened the bolts underneath, right onto the mb itself. In the process, I made quiet a few scratches on the underside of the mb. I am worried that this could be the issue.

Besides that, either mb is dead, or faulty cpu. How do I check which one?

Last but not least, the Dr. Debug stays at "0.0".

Maybe I missed something out?

Any suggestions?

Any confirmations that either cpu or mb is dead?

Help would really be appreciated as I am just at the point of giving up and replacing either mb or cpu (although mb sounds like a cuprit more to me).

Thanks!

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
When i first mounted the coolmaster 212, i accidently forgot all about the metal plated bracket that attaches from the bottom of the mb so that i tightened the bolts underneath, right onto the mb itself. In the process, I made quiet a few scratches on the underside of the mb. I am worried that this could be the issue.

To be honest, I did a build for a friend and accidentally did the EXACT same thing. And we ended up with the exact same issue as you. Quite embarrassing really, when people expect me to know what I'm doing. I'm afraid your motherboard is ruined and you're gonna need a new one. You might get lucky if you try and RMA it for a replacement, but it's curtains for the one you got now.

Looked at what you did, did not see any reference to what you did with ram.
Normally in this case, try one stick of ram in Slot 1 (2nd slot from CPU). Use IGP, do not need HDD, just tring to get to Bios.

As to the back of the MB (scratches) - if thet cut accross a trace, yest that would/could be bad news.

elric42

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
sounds to me like the motherboard is grounded make sure u have your stand offs in the right place amd make sure no part of the mother board is touching the case