Core i7 950
Asus X58 Sabertooth
G.Skill DDR3-1600 6GB Triple Channel memory
Win 7 64 bit

the rest that i didn't upgrade are

Corsair 750 Watt
Asus Xonar STX

the hard drives and CDR/W

instead of getting an improvement in games like Crysis and New Vegas i get worse performance

I can get steady frames in both games but in Crysis If I get to action sections like the school and the seaport my frames dip down to 1-2 FPS until i leave that area then the frames are a steady 55. In New Vegas I go from a steady 60 fps to 30 if i turn my Character around.

Also I formatted my hard drive and then installed W7.

More about : homebuilt machine underperforming

a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2011 4:30:15 PM

What GPU(s) do you have in the system?

Personally, I think Crysis was programmed very poorly, as it has an awful tendency to just flat out crash. Do you have a ton of stuff running in the background?
m
l
March 7, 2011 4:38:42 PM

I have a GTX 280 Which i bought for the old setup which actually performed slightly worse on Warhead than 8800 that I had before, when i play there is usually 58 processes running including crysis.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2011 4:49:13 PM

I can only stop the frame drop in crysis if i play in DX 9 and new vegas i still stutter whenever my characters turns, it's a pain i can't even turn around to fight bad guys without my screen skipping and looking the other way.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2011 8:08:57 PM

You could have hit your bottlenecks in both your old and new systems.

Scenario 1: C2D + 8800 - relatively balanced system

Scenario 2: C2D + GTX 280 - Very strong GPU, but CPU limited system.

Scenario 3: i7 + GTX 280 - Strong CPU, but GPU limited system.

It isn't necessarily the CPU or GPU that is the problem, but the combination of the two.
m
l
March 7, 2011 9:13:04 PM

boiler1990 said:
You could have hit your bottlenecks in both your old and new systems.

Scenario 1: C2D + 8800 - relatively balanced system

Scenario 2: C2D + GTX 280 - Very strong GPU, but CPU limited system.

Scenario 3: i7 + GTX 280 - Strong CPU, but GPU limited system.

It isn't necessarily the CPU or GPU that is the problem, but the combination of the two.

So to remedy this I should then scale back my graphics.
m
l
March 7, 2011 9:31:01 PM

I would scale back the graphics. Your using the same video card as the old system. You incressed the other parts however they have a minor effect on performance. CPU, Ram, HDD, don't think of them enchancing the game but rather that they wont' hold back the GPU. Or in otherwords they are fast enought ot keep up with the video card. But upgrading the cpu and NOT the GPU will not incress game performance if you were already at a balanced level. Put your graphics back to what they were and they should run well. The GPU is what really determanes what your max graphics levels can be.

Also a tip is to turn off Physic X effects. That is usualy the cause for the sudden dips when you hit large scenery. Or if you have a spare 8800 put that it and the nvidia drivers should automaticly offload the physics X to the lesser card. NOTE this can incress the max FPS but most notebly is that it will smooth out the fluctuations significantly and incress the Minimum FPS. Here is a link to toms review of this kind of set up. This is not SLI. It's 2 indepenet nvidia cards. One does the game by itself and the second only does the physics x calculations.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-a...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2011 11:07:45 PM

+1. Setup the PhysX card if you still have the 8800.
m
l
March 8, 2011 12:40:43 AM

It seems to work I will try to put the 8800 in tonight.
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:27:17 AM

Dumb question but have you updated all of your drivers.
m
l
!