Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
System Specs:
Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision 3 Rev. 3.0
Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz Sandy Bridge CPU
700W OCZ PSU OCZ700MSXP
4GB DDR3-1600 G. Skill Ripjaws x4
eVGA GTX 460 x2

I was browsing the net a few nights ago, not doing anything intensive whatsoever and my PC just shuts off. It's a custom build that I put together last April. Ok, so first off I'm like "dead power supply already?" Well I tested the PSU and it tested good. I also put in a confirmed good PSU and no luck. The power led comes on on the motherboard. I also noticed the cpu fan and both case fans will twitch when the power switch is first pressed after it's been off for awhile but that's it.

I breadboarded it and tried each individual stick of RAM in the A2 slot one by one. At this point I was down to just the memory, cpu and motherboard. Then I took it down to just the motherboard and cpu. Still no luck, and unfortunately I don't have a case speaker, so I don't have that information to assist me.

There was one thing I found quite interesting during my troubleshooting. Early on while swapping PSUs I forgot to plug the 12V CPU power cable back into the motherboard. When I did this, the fans started up and the computer appeared to be booting up. At this point I still had my boot drive attached and one of my video cards so I plugged my monitor in, turned it on and saw what I expected; "NO SIGNAL". This came as little surprise considering the red CPU LED came on the motherboard when the CPU 12V cable was unplugged.

I am now at the limit of my testing capabilities. I don't have a spare 1155 board or an extra CPU for mine. None of the components ever ran over normal temperatures. I've never even OC'd any of them as I have a backlog of Xbox games to finish up so I haven't really got back to PC gaming yet. I went over the board with a fine toothed comb and couldn't see any obvious issues. I also removed the CPU and examined it. There was no discoloration or any other visible problems. It seems that since I'm down to these two components, it's obviously one or both of them. I was just wondering if anyone might have some advice as to which one I should try to RMA first or maybe both? Perhaps the behavior with the 12V CPU power cable is a clue?

Any advice is much appreciated!

rds75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I was afraid of that. The only one I can find is at Newegg. I wish I could find one locally. Any ideas for rigging something up that would function as one? I'll probably go ahead and order it, but if I can rig up something in the meantime that would be good.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
did you enter sleep mode? The P67 mobos have a problem recovering from sleep mode if the PLL Overvoltage is enabled.

If this is the case for you, just disable the sleep mode on your system.

You really don't need sleep mode and the other alternative (disabling PLL Overvoltage) kinda crimps your OCing.

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

While I might get flamed for this proposal have you done a bios reset but twice? Yes twice.

I have the LE version of the board and it has been a pain. After many bios updates I don't have that particular problem any more.

Cheers.

rds75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Ok. I got a case speaker. Finally. It's never took them that long to get me something. Guess it had something to do with the DHL Smart Mail junk.

Anyway, I get nothing from the speaker. Zip. And I made sure the polarity was right. So... that leads me to believe it's the board. Thoughts?

rds75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure that I didn't.

I'm assuming doing a bios reset multiple times would reset everything, thereby disabling sleep mode, correct? I've cleared using the jumper several times and have also pulled the battery at least 3 times.

rds75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Yep. I tried it. More than twice. Very annoying.

Oh well, if I RMA it, maybe I'll get a board that doesn't do the "double-boot" thing this time around. It will still do that even now if I don't have the CPU power cord plugged in.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

No. You have to disable sleep mode in WIN.

If you are using WIN 7:

Start
control panel
System and Security
power options (don't click) below this is 'change when the computer sleeps'

To test if this is indeed the problem:

set your computer to sleep in '1 minute'
let the computer sleep and try to wake it with mouse or keyboard.

That will rule this one out if nothing else.

rds75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

I can't do that as the PC won't even post.

I guess re-reading my initial post I didn't specifically state that, but yeah, it's dead. Once it shut off that last time, that was it. The power light comes on the motherboard, and the fans will twitch when I apply power, but that's it, aside from the behavior I described previously about pulling the CPU power cable.

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Hi rds75

I have another possible be flamed suggestion.
Remove all the compents from the board including the RAM.

Only have the CPU installed with its fan.
Make sure you have the speaker installed and by the way the speak can be connected either way round it does not have polarity .. car stereos is a different reason to watch this, but not in computer mobo's

I also found that I had to remove the power cord from my psu while I had the reset pin jumpered on.
Asus is the first board I have ever had so much trouble with.. I am still having issues with computer freezing see
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306469-30-asus-p8p67-memory-sticks-rock-slot sorry but I haven't worked out how to do an internal link yet.

Make sure the speaker is connected to the speaker connectors usually only two pins sometimes on 4 pins only the two outer pins are connected to the speaker.

With the shorted jumper on the reset still on, connected the power to the psu and try to start the mobo (short the start pins with a screwdriver) nothing should start.

Now remove the power cable and the reset jumper to the psu. Now reconnect the psu and start the modo listening for any beeps. If you don't hear anything I am thinking the mobo is dead.

hope this helps.

rds75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone. I finally got my board back from Asus yesterday. Apparently it was the culprit. I tested it and everything seems to check out. Now time to put it back together. Finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.