Some basic theory questions for my build

AngerBomb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hello,

This is my first post on this particular forum so forgive me if I break any of your rules,

I haven't built a gaming computer in some time and I'm struggling with one big decision, my wife is letting me spend approx 1,000 dollars on a new gaming desktop. With that being said I have made a couple potetenial shopping carts that both add up to about 1,000 dollars.

Amd 1090t and slied 560s

or I7 + one 560

My biggest question is what does the future of gaming really hold when it comes to hyper threading vs singe and dual core gaming , from my basic understanding most games still only utilize 1 or 2 cores which to me hyper threading for just gaming honestly holds no value at this point? Will slied 560s hold better value then having hyper threading in for gaming?

I only get to build a new gaming rig about every 2 or 3 years , so I don't want to build something and the non hyper threaded x6 not be able to keep up the current games next year. Obviously no one can tell the future how ever some individuals do have some insight about what could happen to gaming in the next couple years.

Thanks,
Adam

Which i7??

I'd wait for i7-2500k/2600k or Bulldozer. Current i7 or AM3 have no upgrade path.

Difference between i7-2500K and 2600K is the latter has Hyperthreading and it's about $100 more which is worth it imo if it's NOT just a gaming machine. If it's primarily for gaming, you don't need HT.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

In just a few weeks P67 chipsets should be easier to get. An i5 2500K should last you several years no problems. Even if that means you only get 1 GTX560 right now you can always add another later. The 2500K destroys the AMD Thubans as a gaming CPU.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you want hyperthreading go with the i7 2600K. Easily overclocked over 4ghz even with Hyperthreading enabled. I am at 4.5 with Hyperthreading turned on. Even stock the 2600K beats eveything except the 6 core Extreme Editions that cost $1000. Not bad for a $300 CPU.

For gaming you only need 4 cores at most though. So that makes the $100 less 2500K a much better gaming choice.

Overall your system looks to be outstanding. As far as the question of the Intel® Core™ I5 2500k vs. the Intel Core I7 2600k, the best way to find out which is best for you is to check with the software that you are going to be running and see how many threads it will run on. With gaming right now most games don’t take advantage of more than 3 cores. So it really comes down to the future and what it is possible for you to be doing and how long you would like the lifespan of this computer to be.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

AngerBomb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
With games still running on 3 cores or less and with hyper threading been around for 3 years in combination with quad cores , it is inevitable for games to start using it in the next couples years and I dont want to be left behind, the choice comes at a nerve racking price.

AngerBomb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I guess my direct question is

Better to go with a cheaper processor and alot more video card

or a decent processor and a decent video card

I saw the numbers and anandtech but pound for pound as far as video cards go Im not sure

one x6 1090t and slied 560s

vs

one i5-2600k and one 560

D

Deleted member 217926

In my opinion go with the best CPU you can afford ( 2600K ) and one 560 right now. If necessary you can always add another 560 in a few weeks or months or whenever. I have a 2600K and a single GTX460 and it plays all the games I play fine on my 23" 1920 x 1080 monitor.

It's much easier just to add a second GPU than to do a whole computer upgrade if you are not happy with the CPU.