GPU for Athlon ii x4 under $175

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoclown81

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi, i am in the process of assembling a budget gaming computer.

I have an AMD Athlon II x4 640 (3.0ghz, possibly O/C in the future)
4gb dual channel ddr2-800mhz memory
foxconn a74ml-k motherboard (amd 740g chipset, horrible radeon 2100 integrated graphics)

PSU isn't really a factor, i'm using an old one that i will upgrade based on GPU recommendations.

My budget is limited at about $175 U.S. (including tax+shipping) and i would like to know what card would be best for my system. I would really like to get an ATi/AMD card for the whole "AMD Vision" synergistic relationship stuff, but that doesn't mean i won't buy an nVidia card. I would be willing to buy a used card from ebay of a somewhat older series as long as it offers good performance for that price point. I plan on playing Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and lots of FPS games (CoD, as well as free ones, and maybe mess around with a little crysis). I would really prefer a card with a shrouded heatsink and front blower fan, so that all the hot air is directed outside of my case. Right now, some of the options that look appealing are:
1) a new HIS Iceq 5770
2) a used HIS Iceq 4850 or 4870
3) a used 4890
4) a used 4870x2

i haven't had a whole lot of luck finding nVidia cards for that price point, but if you can recommend a good one, i would be happy to buy it..

Thanks for your time :D

psychoclown81

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Thanks, that's pretty powerful and within my budget, but i'm worried that it's going to spew warm air inside my case with a cooler like that...

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
The cyclone does spew the air in the case but most cards that do not have external exhaust blower types do. If you have a pretty decent case with some airflow its really not an issue.

psychoclown81

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

That might be pushing it. With tax, i don't think i'll be able to buy that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.