Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Heatsink/ fan assembly

Last response: in Components
June 6, 2011 5:39:53 PM

Before I buy a heatsink/ fan assembly is there anything I can do? Dell XPS M1530 At first after booting
it would shut down after a minute. I
removed heatsink/ fan assembly cleaned
(it wasn't really dirty) reapplied
Thermal Compound. Updated BIOS.
It at first did boot stay on for a few
minutes (long enough to run HWMonitor)
CPU min 43c max 57c
Fans 3080 RPM
Fans PWM 50%
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7250:
Core#0 min 43c max 61c
core#1 min 43c max 57c
ST920042 OASG min 38c max 40c
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS min 53c max 60c
Now it doesn't load at all. Shuts off
when loading. Fan on sometimes off
other times. I can't get to BIOS, it shuts down after I try F2. Am I at the point of
replacing heatsink/ fan assembly or how
do I check PSU, etc. Thanks plaza237@yahoo.com

More about : heatsink fan assembly

Related resources
June 6, 2011 10:20:50 PM

How did you determine that it is the fan/heatsink assembly that is faulty?
June 6, 2011 10:36:36 PM

Get a laptop cooler pad/ tray. Newer laptops aren't designed well for the heat they create. Cooler pads help increase air flow by not blocking the intake/ exhaust post and add additional exterior fans for more air flow. Bottom line is that laptops aren't designed to set on a lap, or a bead spread, or anything not flat and smooth.
June 6, 2011 11:50:46 PM

Ubrales said:
How did you determine that it is the fan/heatsink assembly that is faulty?

When I first had problems with it automatically shutting off I searched and many said to re compound heatsink (after cleaning it with alcohol) and using thermal compound it seamed to help but then it started to shut down again. I hear fan on and when i boot the heatsink fan goes on then stops. now it won't let me get past BIOS posting before it shuts off. not sure what to check or do next.
June 7, 2011 2:10:22 AM

plaza237 said:
When I first had problems with it automatically shutting off I searched and many said to re compound heatsink (after cleaning it with alcohol) and using thermal compound it seamed to help but then it started to shut down again. I hear fan on and when i boot the heatsink fan goes on then stops. now it won't let me get past BIOS posting before it shuts off. not sure what to check or do next.

Sounds like a power issue. Does it do this even when the AC adapter is plugged in?
June 7, 2011 10:26:29 AM

How would I check power issues. Sounds like fan on ( I guess it's CPU fan ) as I know it's not the one with heat sink assembly as I can see that one and still hear other though I can't see it. It only stays on short time as it will power off.
June 7, 2011 12:50:23 PM

You need to do a lot of trouble-shooting here. Start with the AC adapter. Is it delivering the stated DC voltage? In most cases, 19.5 volts DC. You will find this info on the AC adapter.

If the AC adapter is bad, the computer will exhibit all the symptoms that you are describing.
June 7, 2011 12:56:48 PM

Ubrales said:
You need to do a lot of trouble-shooting here. Start with the AC adapter. Is it delivering the stated DC voltage? In most cases, 19.5 volts DC. You will find this info on the AC adapter.

If the AC adapter is bad, the computer will exhibit all the symptoms that you are describing.

If the laptop is holding charge and I get same symptoms without AC power wouldn't that eliminate AC power. How would I test AC power output other than looking at adapter which came with Laptop?
June 7, 2011 1:59:02 PM

plaza237 said:
If the laptop is holding charge and I get same symptoms without AC power wouldn't that eliminate AC power. How would I test AC power output other than looking at adapter which came with Laptop?

Use a voltmeter. The voltage between the center contact and the outside sleeve should be 19.5 VDC.

When I trouble-shoot any equipment (not limited to computers), I do not assume anything. NO assumptions regardless of what others tell me is ok or not ok. To me, everything is suspect. You do this and you WILL find the problem.
June 7, 2011 4:21:46 PM

Ubrales said:
Use a voltmeter. The voltage between the center contact and the outside sleeve should be 19.5 VDC.

When I trouble-shoot any equipment (not limited to computers), I do not assume anything. NO assumptions regardless of what others tell me is ok or not ok. To me, everything is suspect. You do this and you WILL find the problem.

something new I let it run for quite a long time then I get sign on then it goes blank but if I use a flashlight I can bearly see the desktop. (I could see the resuming windows ok till it loaded) I tried Fn + arrow up (more light) but nothing happens. So it seams like I assumed it was shutting off but it was just "unseeable" it is still on as I can see desktop using a flashlight bearly.
June 7, 2011 4:58:21 PM

plaza237 said:
something new I let it run for quite a long time then I get sign on then it goes blank but if I use a flashlight I can bearly see the desktop. (I could see the resuming windows ok till it loaded) I tried Fn + arrow up (more light) but nothing happens. So it seams like I assumed it was shutting off but it was just "unseeable" it is still on as I can see desktop using a flashlight bearly.

Sounds more and more like a power problem, doesn't it? Maybe a combination of bad AC adapter and a low battery. The bad AC adapter may have run down the battery. Check the AC adapter, or use a new one.
June 7, 2011 5:07:28 PM

Funny It looks OK loading till it starts the log on then it goes VERY dark. It does sign on as I can barley make out desktop.
June 7, 2011 5:22:29 PM

plaza237 said:
Funny It looks OK loading till it starts the log on then it goes VERY dark. It does sign on as I can barley make out desktop.

As the power draw increases (during loading) the display does not get enough power to be bright enough to read the display. Test the AC adapter right away. If it does not test ok, replace it.
June 8, 2011 12:39:09 PM

Ubrales said:
As the power draw increases (during loading) the display does not get enough power to be bright enough to read the display. Test the AC adapter right away. If it does not test ok, replace it.

Tested the AC adapter 19.5 v
June 8, 2011 12:49:37 PM

plaza237 said:
Tested the AC adapter 19.5 v

Proceed with the trouble-shooting. Now you know that you have a good AC adapter.

Try and set the display brightness to factory defaults, and check the laptop operation connected to the AC adapter. You need to approach this step by step, until you arrive at the problem.
June 8, 2011 12:53:31 PM

Ubrales said:
Proceed with the trouble-shooting. Now you know that you have a good AC adapter.

Try and set the display brightness to factory defaults, and check the laptop operation connected to the AC adapter. You need to approach this step by step, until you arrive at the problem.

How do I set the display brightness to factory defaults?
June 9, 2011 1:34:57 PM

I connected external monitor and that works great. When I Fn + F8(CRT/LCD) it switches back but the Laptop flickers then goes black. Looks like power is OK, Laptop "monitor" needs to be troubleshooted. What can I do? Thanks for all your help.

Best solution

June 9, 2011 2:43:33 PM

plaza237 said:
I connected external monitor and that works great. When I Fn + F8(CRT/LCD) it switches back but the Laptop flickers then goes black. Looks like power is OK, Laptop "monitor" needs to be troubleshooted. What can I do? Thanks for all your help.

You found the problem! Laptop display.

If this is a Dell laptop, go to "support.dell.com" and enter the service tag number. Then select 'Manuals & documentation', and download the User's Guide, and the Service Manual (download and save all the manuals if you prefer).

Study (not just read) the documentation. Replacing the LCD panel is not too difficult. However, determine whether this is economically feasible.

Or, just attach an external monitor and continue to use the laptop as-is.

Look into a 'docking station' just for your own information.
June 21, 2011 11:41:56 PM

Best answer selected by plaza237.
June 22, 2011 7:45:17 PM

Thank you!
!