Sign in with
Your question

Beep, vga and boot led on: m5a97 pro

Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2012 11:28:29 AM

Hello, I am building my first computer and I have encountered my first error on boot up: A continuous beep with the VGA LED and BOOT LED on.

My build is:
Mobo - M5A97 PRO
CPU - FX4100
RAM - Corsair DDR3 Vengeance 8gb
PSU - OCZ 600w modular. OCZ600MXSP
GPU - Geforce 8800gt alpha dog edition

My guess is that since the GPU has DVI slots (i got a DVI to VGA adaptor, since my monitor is vga), the first boot up cannot read the monitor since the GPU doesn't have its drivers installed yet. But, i really have no clue. This is my first build after all.

Also, i believe the ram is fine since the DRAM LED did not light and that the beeps do not correspond with ram failure.

Please Help!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 329 V Motherboard
February 7, 2012 12:03:29 PM

My guess is that since the GPU has DVI slots (i got a DVI to VGA adaptor, since my monitor is vga), the first boot up cannot read the monitor since the GPU doesn't have its drivers installed yet. But, i really have no clue. This is my first build after all.

Also, i believe the ram is fine since the DRAM LED did not light and that the beeps do not correspond with ram failure.

No, there is a generic driver within the Windows.

Try to run only on 1 RAM stick.
m
l
February 7, 2012 12:29:37 PM

Quote:
Try to run only on 1 RAM stick.

Just tested that, the results were the same. Both VGA and BOOT light was on, no visual on the monitor and a continuous beep.

Any other ideas?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 329 V Motherboard
February 7, 2012 12:41:47 PM

OK, do u have the 6pin plugged in the GPU?
m
l
February 7, 2012 12:58:39 PM

Quote:
OK, do u have the 6pin plugged in the GPU?

Ha ha! The answer was no (i thought the card got its power direct from the motherboard). I've plugged it in now and i have the bios open! Thank you :) .
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 329 V Motherboard
February 7, 2012 1:02:45 PM

: ))
m
l
!