Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I add a 2nd Video Card - to stream to a TV - as multimedia?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2011 10:46:45 PM

I've got a Home Built PC - that I'd like to try and stream Netflix or Amazon Video to a 720p TV.

Current Setup is
Core i7
6 GB Ram
9800 GTX+ with 2 monitors already using the space
Corsair 650 Watt PSU

* Can I add a Geforce 210 ( Spare Video card not being used ) to my PC - and use it just as a dedicated HTPC video card ?

* Will that video card be enough to stream content to my PC

* Will adding a 2nd card cause any problems to the current PC setup - or cause any hiccups that I should know to look out for.

Thanks,

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 1:45:33 AM

I had a problem with using two Nvidia cards that were a generation apart and had problems with playing games due to different OpenGL and Directx versions but
I think you should be okay with your two cards.
Just something to be aware of .
Also be careful of wattage draw on the PSU though a 650w Corsair is pretty beefy.
Also consider the heat factor.
A decent pci cooler if you have the room would be nice to cool it off.
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 5:26:35 AM

I'm not familair with Nvidia cards but i've heard that you could use different card from different series for SLI but i am not sure.With ATI it has always been that you can only link/use to cards of the same series like 58xx or 48xx.

Yes that card will be enough to playback 720video.

When you say stream do you mean wirelessly or hook the card up to the TV with a DVI or HDMI cable?

If your just trying to play video on the TV through wires then you can buy an DVI/VGA to HDMI adpater for around $10.
Score
Related resources
January 2, 2011 1:09:24 PM

purple stank said:
I'm not familair with Nvidia cards but i've heard that you could use different card from different series for SLI but i am not sure.With ATI it has always been that you can only link/use to cards of the same series like 58xx or 48xx.

When you say stream do you mean wirelessly or hook the card up to the TV with a DVI or HDMI cable?

If your just trying to play video on the TV through wires then you can buy an DVI/VGA to HDMI adpater for around $10.

When I'm saying stream - I'm referring to hardwiring my Television into my PC via a HDMI cable.

I'm not trying to SLI 2 different Video Cards - that wouldn't work with different generation cards and would still only leave me 2 monitor outputs if I could use SLI. I've already got 2 monitors connected to my PC. I"m trying to add a 3rd.

The setup I'm thinking of having 2 Video cards running independantly - where the 9800 GTX+ would run my 2 monitors - and the Geforce 210 would be dedicated for HTPC function when I choose to watch content I got on the net on a TV.

The streaming part would be streaming Netflix or Amazon Video on Demand to my PC through DSL line.

If streaming video refers to Wireless connection - my bad - that's not what I'm trying to do at the moment.
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 1:27:27 PM

Well i'm not sure how that works,i do not know much about it.

All i can suggest is an HDMI/DVI Splitter, but i'm not sure you would want to share the output you wanted to run them speceratly.Also the revies on these 2 item are very bad,but the concept in general is what i'm suggesting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
Goodluck
Score
January 3, 2011 3:31:23 AM

Thanks for the replies.

It was a little tight b/c video cards take up 2 slots each - but plug and play and everything worked fine.

Got the Geforce 210 running HDMI output as HTPC - with the rest of the setup left the same running 2 monitors off the 9800 GTX+.
Score
January 3, 2011 3:33:03 AM

Best answer selected by JessieJ.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 1:25:35 PM

purple stank said:

I don't know where you got that from but it's wrong info.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 1:56:40 AM

I am glad it worked out.

Do you game? DId you try one?

Thanks for selecting me as Best Answer.
Glad to help.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 3:38:51 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score