Sign in with
Your question

Computer knowlage

Last response: in CPUs
June 6, 2011 6:12:16 PM

Hi there, im guessing that you guys prob know alot about computers and such, im 16 and i want to get a part-time job at a computer store or a internet cafe or somthing in those lines. im not new to computers but i dont think i know enoughf to be able to speak profesionlay to costemers about my recomendations and so. i know this is wrong thread but what do you guys recomend i should know and to what point should my knowlage extend to to beable to give recomendations a speak about computers with great understanding? plaese help if you dont mind :p  :sol:  :sol:  :sol:  :D  :D  :D 

More about : computer knowlage

a c 103 à CPUs
June 6, 2011 6:28:18 PM

You seem keen enough and that is a good thing in itself,
although as you already know its not enough on its own, I would say a good plan of attack is to get some 'how to build a pc' books from the library,
search online for guides etc, hang around forums like here,overclockers.co.uk and learn what you can,
it wont take you long to grasp enough basic knowledge to know what your on about although in depth details on operating systems, programs and the benefits of xxx graphics card over the next one will take time, a long time,
if its what you want to do for a job, look up courses at your local college,
ask in your local pc shops about a job and explain honestly to the owner your situation, even if your just helping out back its experience
one minor thing I'd pick up on is work on your spelling, no one will trust a professional that cant spell profession :p  but seriously,
find out whats available to you and keep going man, I wish you all the best in it
Moto
June 7, 2011 9:47:43 AM

Lol, yea i suck at spelling :p  but thanks for the reply. much appreciated (i got help that word lol) :D 
thanks man :bounce: 
Related resources
June 7, 2011 10:10:25 AM

I found some good books on amazon, theres a how to biuld your own pc for dummies on there for pretty cheap, you think i should look at that one?
a c 86 à CPUs
June 7, 2011 10:48:41 AM

most of the people that sell computers dont know what they are on about, so you will be fine. Just pretend you know and read the brochure, thats all salespeople do.
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 11:24:11 AM

Books are well and good, but a lot of them will be dated. I'd certainly read them, but just bear that in mind. As already said, forums are a good bet as well as hardware sites like bit-tech. There are plenty of podcasts out there discussing the latest PC technology too, so you could download some of them. If you do enough of that over time, you'll be surprised at how much you pick up. And, if you can, get a PC to tinker with. Nothing beats practical experience, even if it's in your house.
June 7, 2011 1:58:43 PM

Cool thanks guys, do you guys maby have a few websites that i can check out for the forums? and when i go onto a forum do i just read threw all the threads and descutions and see what i can pick up?
Its hard because i want to gain a wide variaty of computer knowlage not just on cpu's or g cards or whatever. i game alot and i know my basics and a bit beyond but i rearly would like to beable to give advice to freinds on what g card to upgrade to and such :p 
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 2:19:30 PM

Google about products. Keep up to date on the reviews and hang around the forums for around 5-6 months and read the advises posted here. And if anything just ask questions. So...
1. Google.
2. Tom's.
3. Reading.
4. More reading!
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 9:58:49 PM

SPAZz95 said:
Cool thanks guys, do you guys maby have a few websites that i can check out for the forums? and when i go onto a forum do i just read threw all the threads and descutions and see what i can pick up?
Its hard because i want to gain a wide variaty of computer knowlage not just on cpu's or g cards or whatever. i game alot and i know my basics and a bit beyond but i rearly would like to beable to give advice to freinds on what g card to upgrade to and such :p 

You can answer this yourself to an extent. Read to the extent that you're interested...it'll come naturally if this is really something you'll want to do, you'll read anything and everything about it. Overclockers, Toms, bit-tech...make sure you read from more than one source, if one site reviews something badly but another well, understand the differences and you'll start to ID what's important and what's not.
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 5:05:31 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
most of the people that sell computers dont know what they are on about, so you will be fine. Just pretend you know and read the brochure, thats all salespeople do.

lol...seriously so true :) 
!