Sign in with
Your question

Bought a new motherboard, and now PC won't start reliably

Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2012 2:33:10 PM

I just bought this Asus P8Z68-V to replace my other dead Asus, and now my computer will not reliably power on. That is to say, no fans powering on, no spinning discs, nada. It does have a light on the MoBo for having power. If I hit the power supply switch off and on again I can usually get it started, but then it boots to a "hey there was an error, hit F1" screen. I then have to tell the MB to try using MBR partition windows 7 made on my disc.

If I shutdown the comp and quickly hit the power button again it usually comes up every time, but if I wait a few hours I have to try the P/S switch trick again. The board has a power button it's self, and the results are similar to the case's power button. I should mention that once I've done the P/S and F1 things, this computer runs everything without a hitch. Have I goofed up somehow, or do I need to replace something again?

System Specs:
Asus P8Z68-V
Intel i5 2500k
Antec 650watt P/S
Corsair Vengance 2x4Gb
Nvidia GTX560Ti

Thanks!
a c 121 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 7, 2012 4:28:35 PM

have you updated the BIOS for your board?

That is generally the first step for this kind of trouble...

You can use the windows utility (not recommended) or download the file to a USB drive, and update it from the BIOS.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2012 4:30:57 PM

MOBO issue or PSU may be your problem. Antec PSU are usally very reliable. Nothing else changed, just the MOBO? Maybe a issue with the pwr switch but thats not too common.
m
l
Related resources
!