Solved

Compatibility Help First Time Builder

Hi,

I'm about to build my first computer and before I purchase everything I want to make sure there are no real compatibility issues, and to make sure the parts will work well together.

I have already taken some advice on hardware, but if you have any suggestions, I'm willing to take them.

This computer is for Gaming.

Any input is appreciated! :)

Thanks!!

CPU:
Sandy Bridge i7-2600k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=sandy_bridge-_-19-115-070-_-Product

MOBO:
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574&cm_re=p67-_-13-130-574-_-Product

Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431

Graphic Card:
EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130620

Case:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Power Supply
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

CD/DVD Player
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333

Monitor:
ASUS VG236HE Black 23" 1920X1080 2ms Height,Swivel & Tilt Adjustable Full HD 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 100,000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236104

Fan:
Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel & AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

1TB Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

OS:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

64GB SSD
Corsair Performance 3 Series CSSD-P364GB2-BRKT 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233153
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility time builder
  1. Best answer
    Hello anthony1832;

    Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 is only $10. Personally, I prefer the lock of the Nine Hundred you have listed. But it's worth comparing the versions.

    I had to dig really deep to find anything to say. Compatibility is 100% and those all are top quality parts.

    I know most people would prefer the ASUS P8P67 PRO or GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4 but I think the MSI P67A-GD65 is a fine choice. And it's in stock.
    At least it was last I checked. I know it got grabbed a few times today by THG forum dwellers.
  2. For a mostly gaming focus I'd say going with the i5-2500K and saving $100 is a nice way to save some change for a nice gaming keyboard and mouse.
    If you don't already own those items.
  3. Thanks again for your help! I thought about the i5-2500k but my friends talked me into the upgrade. It may be overpowered for a gamer now, but it probably wont be a year from now. That motherboard came in and sold out a couple times today. I finally grabbed it later this afternoon. I'm just tired of waiting, and it has everything I need.

    Time to dish out the cash! :)
  4. WR2 said:
    For a mostly gaming focus I'd say going with the i5-2500K and saving $100 is a nice way to save some change for a nice gaming keyboard and mouse.
    If you don't already own those items.
    ^+1, I think the i5-2500K is a much better value.

    I also prefer the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme to the Frio, not much pricier, cools better and is quieter.

    If you can wait, the Asrock P67 Extreme4 (~150$) is also a great option, performs close to par with Asus P8P67 Pro, has all the features, but cost 50$ less; I think it just doesn't OC as well.
  5. anthony1832 said:
    Thanks again for your help! I thought about the i5-2500k but my friends talked me into the upgrade. It may be overpowered for a gamer now, but it probably wont be a year from now.
    The only things the i7-2600K has over the i5-2500K is 100Mhz, 2MB cache and Hyperthreading and I'm sure none of them will make a difference even on the long run.
  6. I think the Frio was in a combo deal with the i7 CPU.
  7. Best answer selected by anthony1832.
  8. Zenthar said:
    The only things the i7-2600K has over the i5-2500K is 100Mhz, 2MB cache and Hyperthreading and I'm sure none of them will make a difference even on the long run.



    hmm.... Isn't hyper threading for multi tasking? A lot of times when I'm playing I'm surfing the web and playing music. Wouldn't that help?
  9. Even a single core CPU can do multi-tasking in an excellent manner.
    Same for dual core and especially quad core CPUs.
    Having four more 'virtual cores' isn't great an advantage for even hard, serious multi-tasking like most of us do.

    It's more useful for large media encoding projects that have software especially optimized to use all cores, even virtual ones.

    You don't really see this in gaming 'cause the game developers have to make games that run well on a limited number of cores. See the minimum requirements for most games.
  10. WR2 said:
    Even a single core CPU can do multi-tasking in an excellent manner.
    Same for dual core and especially quad core CPUs.
    Having four more 'virtual cores' isn't great an advantage for even hard, serious multi-tasking like most of us do.

    It's more useful for large media encoding projects that have software especially optimized to use all cores, even virtual ones.

    You don't really see this in gaming 'cause the game developers have to make games that run well on a limited number of cores. See the minimum requirements for most games.



    Hmm. I'll have to think about it, already bought the processor at micro center but can return it for the lesser one.

    One last question (hopefully), I have an older wireless card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124115&cm_re=wmp54g-_-33-124-115-_-Product) It says PCI 2.2, will that work with my motherboard? Mobo says PCI 2.0 x 16.
  11. It's not that I'm advocating you return it.
    Just wanted you to be sure about that the non-hyperthreaded CPUs have no problems doing awesome in heavy multi-tasking work loads.

    That wireless PCI card should will slip right into the new build without a problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product