PC2 6400 in a PC2 5300 slot?

What happens if I put laptop RAM DDR2 800 MHz PC2 6400 modules in DDR2 667 MHz PC2 5300 slots?

I ask this cause I checked my modules in my notebook, and they are 667mh, and I want to upgrade them. According to crucial, 800mhz will work on my notebook, but I havent found any info about this on official product pages. Im not sure my notebook support 800MHz

If any one cares to know, its a VAIO VGN-CR320E
6 answers Last reply
More about 6400 5300 slot
  1. Chances are good that ram will run just fine, just at the slower speed. However, if you have the opportunity to buy the right ram, then buy the 667 ram from the getgo.
    http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGNCR320EN_mksp.pdf
  2. The system will run fine. They will just clock to the 667 speed unless the bios support OC
  3. 99% chance the RAM works fine, just at the lower speed. 0.9% chance the RAM works at its full speed. 0.1% chance there is some incompatibility and the RAM doesn't work at all.

    I'd recommend hitting google for a few minutes and see if anybody has tried this before and posted the results. Barring that, I'd go for it, you're not likely to have any problems.
  4. abekl said:
    Chances are good that ram will run just fine, just at the slower speed. However, if you have the opportunity to buy the right ram, then buy the 667 ram from the getgo.
    http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGNCR320EN_mksp.pdf



    I think I will get this one

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-VS4GSDSKIT667D2-PC2-5300-200-Pin/dp/B0011UPBMA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1328646263&sr=8-5
  5. Your laptop uses the intel GM965 chipset. You can use the 800 MHz RAM at full speed. It's a big upgrade i suggest you go for it.
  6. Get Whatever Cost The Least And Fits In The Slot Properly Just Make Sure Its A Good Brand, Since 800 Is Usually The Same Price As Everything Else Thats Likely What You Will End Up With, Allthough Its Likely That Whatever Speed You Get You Wont Notice Any Differance In Performance.

    If You Want To Go As Cheap As Possible Theres Nothing Wrong With Used RAM
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Notebooks