Best PCI-e sound card for gaming/movies in 5.1

bryan5678

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I have a Dell vostro230 pc and I what to install a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe Sound Card for music. Will this sound card work in my pc? What is the difference between a PCI and the PCI-e sound cards?

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
PCIe is for PCI Express. The X-Fi uses a PCIe x1 slot. GPUs use PCIe x16 slot (much longer).
Seeing the specs of Vostro 230, I can say it should work, since the discrete GPU options on the site all seem to be single-cooling. So the only way it would NOT work is:
- somebody put a dual-slot cooling GPU (not from Dell options)
AND
- PCIe x1 slot si directly under the PCIe x16 slot

PS: I'm talking about what I can see on the Dell website now.

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I think you wlil get better sound quality from the Asus Xonar DX (like hell_storm2004 posted), but you will have a better gaming experience on the Creative X-FI Platinum (both are pci-e).

Be warned that if you get the creative card you need to be VERY careful with drivers and be a bit technical, the software is sensitive (ie, you need to do a complete uninstall and bios disable of your onbord soundcard before install.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

lol what do exaclty mean by gaming experience. if you mean EAX< its pretty dead now, unless OP plays pre2005 games. soundqaulity qise, i would think the asus has better sound quality, plus the x-fi processors FOR processing is now pointless, since the days of vista and over- sound is always processed using the CPU.