Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel Core i7 CPU spiking to 0% Use when playing games.. Causes stutte

Last response: in CPUs
June 6, 2011 11:46:43 PM

Hi All,

Basically, when I'm playing PC games, I'll get a perfect 60 FPS, but for some reason, the Intel i7 processor I have will spike to 0% use for a second and then continue to run.. This causes major FPS lag for around 1 to 3 seconds.

Here is a screenshot of me playing a game:

Information about my rig:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/321957-32...

Had it about a year, haven't cleaned it once, runs at about 80C, 90C when playing games.

Is this a dust issue? Any ideas?

Best solution

a c 127 à CPUs
June 7, 2011 3:26:06 AM

I have one idea. The temperture. While the CPUs Tjunction is set to 100c, meaning it will operate at up to 100c, the laptop maker probably set their safe guard at a lower temperature.

When the CPU reaches that temperature, it will downclock itself according to the BIOS till it reaches that temperature or lower.

I would suggest getting a decent cooling pad for it for when you play games. There are some nice ones with big 200mm fans that will help cool it down.

That or get a desktop for gaming as laptops are not well suited for it, even when they are designed for it. I am not a laptop fan due to them shoving extremley hot components into a small space with inadequate cooling.
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 10:01:34 AM

Temperature might very well be the issue. Notice though that only some of the cores drop to 0%, not all of them. Depending on the game, some of the cores may not be doing any work.
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2011 10:35:26 AM

do something about the temperature, take heatsink off ,clean all dust, reapply some good thermal paste, turn cpu fan up. After this try a game and see if prob persists
m
l
June 7, 2011 10:48:14 AM

Try doing some cleanup too, there might be a program....or malicious type process running. Run Malware-bytes for that. Close up any unnecessary start up programs.

Lastly, try updating your GPU drivers.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
June 7, 2011 10:49:35 AM

"runs at about 80C, 90C " <------- theres your problem.
m
l
June 7, 2011 12:36:12 PM

Alright guys, thanks for the help. I had thought this would be the problem, but it's great to see a general consensus.

Will clean it up soon.
m
l
June 7, 2011 12:36:31 PM

Best answer selected by BradBrad.
m
l
!