Need a replacement for a Radeon HD4870X2

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2011 10:53:44 AM

I have suffered a catastrophic short curcuit and got some money from the insurance company to cover my loses.

I have a Intel Q9550 CPU with 2x2 GB Kingston HyperX Blu Ram on a msi x48c platinum motherboard (the board was not my choice, the insurers agent installed it)

I used to have a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870x2 with an EK waterblock which needs replacing.

I was thinking about doing a moderate overclock from 333->400 MHz liquid cooled and getting a new graphics card and run it on it's stock cooler

What would be the current equivalent GPU Radeon/NVIDIA and what be an fitting upgrade?

Good New Years!

More about : replacement radeon hd4870x2

January 2, 2011 10:56:48 AM

Got a 1000W PSU by the way
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 3:13:26 PM

When unlocked the HD6950 will be a minor upgrade in terms of average performance(5-10%) but it has a number of other advantages;
As a single GPU card it won't have any crossfire scaling issues/microstuttering/minimum frame rate issues.
The 2gb of memory will help performance when maxing out the settings in the latest games at high resolutions
DX11 compatibility for the current and future games that use those features.
Eyefinity for using up to 6 monitors at once.
Greater power efficiency, especially at idle, which also means less heat to deal with.
MLAA which is a post processing AA that can be used in games that don't allow for traditional forms of anti aliasing.
Much improved crossfire scaling if you ever do want to add a second card.
More current A/V features.
!