COD2, integrated GPU and Win XP

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi,

I'm wondering why Windows 7 seem to handle the integrated graphic card better than XP.

Here's what happened:

This PC was running Call of Duty 2 on Windows 7 without any problems (except maybe some FPS issue due to low-end hardware)

We decided to install Windows XP since this machine doesn't handle Vista or 7 so well. Now Call of Duty 2 doesn't start anymore. We always get the DirectX error: "DirectX® encountered an unrecoverable error"

I read on several forums that Call of Duty 2 doesn't support this integrated graphic card (Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family) so the solution brought up is always: 'buy a new graphic card'.

I understand this integrated thing isn't really good but why was it working on 7 and not on XP. Everything else runs smoother on XP actually, except this game which doesn't work at all.

I updated the graphic card driver, the motherboard chipset, windows XP, almost anything I could think of.

Why can't XP handle this and is there a solution around it?

Thanks!

Specs:
ASUS P5KPL-AM IN/ROEM/SI
Intel Pentium D 820
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

:heink: Let me remember........ COD 2 was released 5 years ago!

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Aye DirectX 9c installed which is the one required to play COD2. Also ran the dxdiag command and all the self tests successfully....

I tried installing Directx 9b too without sucess. COD2 is indeed an old game and should work well with XP...funny thing is that it was working very well on 7...

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Aye that's the first thing that was tried.. when that didn't work I tried other versions of DirectX 9.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Went back to old drivers like you suggested but without any luck. Still the same issue...

Also tried to uninstall/reinstall several times already.

I'm starting to think that there is no way around it in XP. The question I'm still asking myself though is how is Win7 doing to handle it with a graphic card that is largely considered to be non-compatible with the said game. Perhaps directx10 on 7 is enabling something that makes it possible.... :heink: Weird though because the game was built to work with Directx 9c which is even provided on the game DVD...