Flashing bios in dos

paul g

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hello,
i have a hp pavillion m7630.uk media center that needs the bios flashing, it won't boot into windows because it keeps blue screening, the update says it cures various blue screen issues but the only bios available is a windows version, iv'e extracted the bios files from the exe but not sure how to mount them or put the computor into a flash mode! any help would really be appreciated.. thanks paul...

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello reccomend using Hirens boot CD It has a portable XP (Plus a massive collection of other good tools) on it you can just put it on a flash drive and boot from there then run the bios update.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Note if 15.1 is too much and/or you just want Portable XP then you can get the version 8.

paul g

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Thanks brythespy that was so simple, updated the bios version ok (cant belive how simple it was really with mini windows lol), unfortunatly pc still blue screening.
I'm loading windows media center on a brand new hard drive and when it gets to "setting up windows" (after its loaded all windows files) it just pops off with a blue screen saying "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage...errrm ive installed new ram in case it was that and installed a new sata hard drive because that was dead, tested with w/d software and it failed.
Don't suppose you or anyone else can throw any light on this for me could you please (i realise it could be one of many things),
but any help would be really appreciated, Thanks Paul G...

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
When it comes down to it. blue screen is a Windows Error. So try another OS (Linux or even the Mini XP) If everything works well on a different OS then the last factor IS your OS.

The reason that your OS is bluescreening can be:

-Bad drivers
-Wrong or absent Hardware settings in the Registry
-A virus D:
-Hardware not compatible with Windows
-Software not compatible with Windows.
-Windows Not detecting an Important System device (Could be something stupid like it doesn't realize that there is a CPU fan or that USB on the front is there)

You may have to re-install the OS. :|

paul g

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I have been constantly trying to install win xp media center on a clean hard drive.

Ok thanks, ill borrow another o/s to try and then rebuild the pc checking each part works,

Thanks for your time and replying bry..

Yours Paul G...