sinisgood

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hello, I come to you with a problem. I wasn't sure which forum to go to with this, but I think that this is the most likely location. Last night, my desktop PC blacked its screens as though it had gone into sleep mode. After trying various inputs, all to no avail, I decided to hard reset. Upon turning back on, the screens remained black and computer would not boot at all. Also, the front power/reset buttons did nothing at all after starting it back up. The power button would start up the computer, but pressing and/or holding it did nothing at all, same for the reset button. I unplugged it and opened the case, to see if there were any loose connections. I saw none, so I once again started the computer back up. There were no beeps, no readout on the small LED display in the corner of the mobo. The lights for the power, reset, and clr CMOS buttons (the buttons on the mobo itself) all had lights on, however. Everything else also seemed to power on; my fans, CPU, and video card were all on. But there was no screen, and no sign of the mobo booting. I have had similar problems before, so I went through and unplugged the mobo connectors and plugged them back in. After all that, my PC booted back up as though nothing at all had gone awry. So I went back about my business, as I was doing before.

Then it happened again, under the same circumstances (playing an online game.) I figured that case vibration had shaken things loose again, which is nothing new. So I did all those steps again. This time, however, nothing. The 3 buttons on the mobo light up, but no LED, no booting, no sounds or beeps. Nothing. I began searching the internet with this problem, and found quite a lot of similar problems. I attempted many of the fixes listed on this forum, as well as many others. Clearing CMOS, shorting the 24-pin connector, taking out the battery for a few hours, discharging the caps. I even left everything unplugged overnight, but still the same problem arises. Everything powers on, but the computer does not boot.

Now, I am still unclear as to the true problem. I understand the possibility of a faulty PSU is present, and I am still hoping that it is indeed the culprit. However, it just feels like a mobo issue. I don't have any sort of itemized list of settings or components, as all that information is on my desktop, and I am unable to access any of it. Like I said before, I searched for hours last night, looking for anyone with this exact issue, but found nobody. Most of the similar issues I found were solved by rather simple means, all of which I tried. I still don't understand why I was able to get it working again the first time this problem came up by unplugging then re-plugging in all the power connectors to the mobo, yet now I cannot. I know for certain that I didn't cross or short anything myself.

Please, if anyone has any advice or possible solutions, let me know.

sinisgood

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
It's a custom, pre-built PC I purchased from an online vendor (Magicmicro.) I've owned it for about 10 months. I've bought from this particular vendor before never had problems, either. This is the first time I haven't been able to fix the problem myself from the info I could find online.

Well , the problem could be one of two things , either the psu has become patialy defective or the motherboard has become unusable. The thing is that because the psu us powering up some things you would have to get another psu and connect it to test and see if that is it. The motherboard is the most likely culprit because of the unresposivness of trying to shut down and even starting up. The problem is testing it and with it being out of warrenty , unless the place you bought it from has a good warrenty like a 1 year or 2 year which would be nice. So I would start there and see if you can get it covered by a warrenty but I do think it is the motherboard.

themax75

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Yes !!! I have the exact same issue ! I can't pinpoint it. First thought it might be Videocard, then a driver issue , but it also happened once while being in the UEFI setup screen.

The computer glitches, screen goes black as though it receives no input. The Computer front panel LED for power goes off. But when opening the PC, the fans, and reset and power off button on the mobo are on as though nothing is wrong. Except, nothing reacts anymore, and only thing left is a complete power on/off via PSU.

Sometimes it happens continously sometimes once every 2 days or so. I really suspect it's an ASROCK 870 Extreme3 2.0 issue.