Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezing during games

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2011 12:29:36 PM

Hey guys, I've had my overclocked PC for about two months now and around three weeks ago it started freezing randomly during games. This can happen two minutes into a game or after four hours of gaming, and is seemingly random.

I've searched around and found a lot of different posts with similar problems but the thing that seems to set mine apart is that the mouse freezes, and it will stutter and lock up, but I can still type and and my audio continues to work just fine. However the only solution is to restart the PC.

My system specs are
i5 760
msi 460gtx HAWK
Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe
Antec TruePower 650watt PSU
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB
Razer Imperator (mouse)
Razer Lycosa (keyboard)
I'm using a Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler and my temps are perfect, at idle my CPU is only at 20 degrees Celsius, my graphics card is at 29.

So far I've tried
-Multiple games
-Several different mice
-Unplugging all other USB devices
-Installing latest drivers for every part of my PC
-New firmware for my mouse
-Dropping GPU to default settings
-Cleaning my registry
-Increasing voltages for PCI-e and CPU

Really stumped and desperate for a solution here, all your assistance will be really appreciated and I'll regularly check and update this post.

More about : computer freezing games

a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 12:53:53 PM

Drop cpu and mem clocks/timings and all bus/PCI-e clocks to stock, try a single stick of DDR one at a time, reseat video card and it's power input(with PSU unplugged, of course)....

Power supplies and gpus are only really known good at your last successful gaming attempt, which does you little good once they fail...
m
l
January 2, 2011 1:13:30 PM

SO what am I looking for? Shall I try to generate a crash with the changes you specified? Ie reset system to stock, insert one DIMM and try playing a game for 2 hours, then if no crash try with the second DIMM inserted?

Guess I should edit main post with what RAM I'm using
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 1:15:14 PM

Seems like a ram or possibly PSU issue. Make sure to set proper ram voltage and timings. Pick a setting that runs them at or below their rated speed. Try to game again, if no joy try running memtest as a boot disk to check for errors.

Like said above, you gonna want to run things on default(except ram settings) until you have your freezing problem resolved. Leave pcie alone, upping it won't help stability or performance.
m
l
January 2, 2011 8:57:42 PM

Ok I reset everything and changed RAM timings to 9-9-9-27 and It hasn't frozen yet today. Il give it another few hours though.
m
l
a c 248 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 9:59:40 PM

Have you checked Event Viewer for any messages ?
m
l
January 2, 2011 11:03:16 PM

ok, if your cpu is overclocked then bump up the voltage, or drop the clock a little
m
l
January 3, 2011 1:40:32 AM

nebun said:
ok, if your cpu is overclocked then bump up the voltage, or drop the clock a little

Yeah I tried lowering clock on CPU as well.

Checked in event viewer its got the critical errors for me having to reboot the PC, 54 times in past 7 days =/

Looking through the log I'm not sure what I'm looking for, if you could give me some info that would be appreciated =)

It seems that every crash is preceded by this error, which basically means my display drivers have stopped working right? Has the id 14. When I look for further info online windows has no idea what it is, "We're sorry
There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere."

But this is what is in the viewer.

"The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video5
CMDre 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000001 00000001"
m
l
!