Cannot Save Bios Changes

Captaindon130

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I have a ASUS Maximus Extreme that has been working fine for a number of years with four sticks of 1GB memory, Sapphire 5850 and a large 850W supply. I statred getting memory related problems so I took the opportunity to but some new RAM (2X4) thinking this would solve my problem. Unfortunately it has caused some different problems.

When I tried to save the new bios configuration the motherboard would not save it. I then changed the bios battery and reset the bios by using the button on the back of the motherboard. All to no avail. When I boot I get only the option of F1 to go to setup or F2 to load the default settings, which unfortunately means I have to go in and change the HD boot order as I have two of them installed.

I also have a problem with Win 7 Pro getting a blank blue screen after the log in but I do not think this is related.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don

If you go into the bios under the Advanced tab you will see the boot sequence where you list which drive you want to be the boot drive. The next choice would be the list of available hard drives and in that option you also want the boot drive listed first and make sure that the other hdd that youi have is not one of the choices that way you shouldn't have to change the boot sequence because the second hdd would not be one of the options.
What did you change in the bios that you needed to save the new configuration?

Captaindon130

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I solved part of the problem by taking disconnecting the second HD. Now it powers right through the point where it asks for F1 or F2 but I still am unable to save any changes to the bios.

I like to overclock a bit so the 2.66 GHz runs at 3.1 GHz and increase the memory timing a bit. (Just to make me feel good about getting something for free!)

Don

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
ok try this Look for jumper #10 CMOS reset jumper (RTCRST). It sits on two of three pins. So if yours is on pins 1/2, move it to pins 2/3. Or vice versa. Power on, make a change in the Bios and see if it sticks

ok try this Look for jumper #10 CMOS reset jumper (RTCRST). It sits on two of three pins. So if yours is on pins 1/2, move it to pins 2/3. Or vice versa. Power on, make a change in the Bios and see if it sticks

DO NOT do this, you can permanently damage the motherboard by having the clear CMOS links in the wrong position with the power cord connected. Clearing the CMOS may be a good idea though, but do it the way it tells you in the manual.