Sign in with
Your question

Locked Multiplier at 44 on i7 2600k? Asus P8Z68 Gen 3 V Pro

Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2012 8:40:20 PM

Anyone know what is causing this?
In my asus p8z68 gen 3 vpro when I try to put my multiplier more than 44 it doesnt change.
If I put it to 45 it just goes back to 44?
If I put it at 44 it overclocks to 4.4 ghz no problem but I can't get it to 45 or more?
My temps are max at 54 degrees C in LinX so the system is stable at 4.4ghz
My voltage was put up to 1.3volts (I didnt have to change the voltage to get it to 4.4ghz though it went on stock 1V)

What could be causing it?
a c 180 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 7, 2012 9:04:44 PM

Can you change the BCLK?
m
l
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 7, 2012 10:08:14 PM

You don't overclock Sandy Bridge via the BCLK. Going much over 100 can damage other parts of the board.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2012 10:22:14 PM

Is it not saving in BIOS or when you get into windows it's not showing 4.5?
try turning up your power setting in the bios, default it only allows around 100 watt and i think 150 under turbo and dropping down after long periods. if you set the numbers high it should prevent the board from not giving the cpu power to go higher.
m
l
February 8, 2012 1:53:29 AM

In the bios as soon as i put over 44 and move to the next line it automatically goes back to 44. it's like it doesnt understand to go over 44..
m
l
February 8, 2012 2:40:52 AM

Someone with the same motherboard had a weird problem like that, same board, change the multi and immediately save before doing anything else. that should keep your setting but is extremely annoying.
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:56:54 AM

I solved my problem.
The solution is in order to go higher than 44 you need to use the + and - on your keyboard. That's how it allows it to save. The same goes for the voltage.
So finally I overclocked the cpu to 5.2 GHZ @ 1.42 volts. LinX stability test went fine.
My max temp was 64 C motherboard temp always stays at 29C
I might try going a little big higher maybe 5.6 but I don't really see a point in having a CPU at almost 6ghz other than for gloating purposes :) 

I'd like to see how fast I can get the CPU before it just blue screens on me.
(On a side note I can get to 4.4GHZ with stock voltage on this CPU)

It's on standard air cooling a tri fan setup on a Noctua NH-D14.
m
l
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 8, 2012 5:49:43 PM

Ok just a little info. Going over about 1.36-1.38v can cause your CPU to start degrading over time due to a process called electromigration. It will eventually take more and more voltage to keep the same clocks. At 1.4v some chips lifespan can be reduced to a matter of months unless you have a custom watercooling loop. There is no reason at all to go over 4.5Ghz in everyday use unless you are running like 3 x GTX580s. Very few things will show a gain over that speed. Personally I am at 4.5Ghz and 1.32v with Hyperthreading on. You have a little better cooler than me so you might get to 4.6-4.8 in a safe voltage range. If I was you I would back off those speeds other than to say you have done them at least if you want your chip to last.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/automatic-overclock...
m
l
February 8, 2012 6:25:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did remove the speeds I just wanted to see how fast I could go. I don't need to be at 5.6ghz it makes no sense to be that fast. I set it back to 1V
3.4GHZ. I rarely will overclock my cpu but I did want to see how fast this chip can actually go.
5.6GHZ is ridiculous fast. I would have never expected an almost 60% overclock on a cpu. That's impressive.
It was only on at 1.42 volts for about 10 minutes so I doubt I did any damage to the chip.
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 8, 2012 6:33:24 PM

You won't do any damage in just running the test to see how high you can go as long as the cooling was good enough and the voltage was only raised for a short time . It's the long term settings that will do damage but with going that high you do have to be careful.
m
l
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 8, 2012 7:11:24 PM

inzone said:
You won't do any damage in just running the test to see how high you can go as long as the cooling was good enough and the voltage was only raised for a short time . It's the long term settings that will do damage but with going that high you do have to be careful.

^ Yep. Just need to be careful long term. You are perfectly safe at 4.5Ghz from the sound of it and with that cooler you might as well leave it there. Mine has been overclocked for over a year now. I bought it last January about a week after it was released.
m
l
!