Nikon software?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 7, 2005 8:27:17 PM

What is the diffrence between all the software that Nikon has for the
D70?

There is:
Nikon View 6.2.1,
Nikon Picture Project 1.1, and
Nikon Capture 4.1.3.

What the heck is the diffrence between them? I am familar with
photoshop and elements, are these Nikons versions? Do I need these if I
have photoshop or elements?

Thanks in advance :)

More about : nikon software

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:44:59 AM

These are the current versions of the Nikon software for downloading and
working with your D70 digital pictures. I have all three and Photoshop 6.
I use Picture Project to download my pictures and Nikon Capture to work with
16 bit RAW images.

I'm not an expert but for a little less than $100, Nikon Capture meets my
needs.

Dennis D. Carter

"Lucinia" <luciniathefletcher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the diffrence between all the software that Nikon has for the
> D70?
>
> There is:
> Nikon View 6.2.1,
> Nikon Picture Project 1.1, and
> Nikon Capture 4.1.3.
>
> What the heck is the diffrence between them? I am familar with
> photoshop and elements, are these Nikons versions? Do I need these if I
> have photoshop or elements?
>
> Thanks in advance :)

February 8, 2005 5:45:06 AM

In article <1107826037.884165.74890@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
luciniathefletcher@yahoo.com says...

>What is the diffrence between all the software that Nikon has for the
>D70?
>
>There is:
>Nikon View 6.2.1,

Basically, the software for downloading directly from your camera. If you use
a CF card reader, its only function would be a modest album feature, but
ThumbsPlus, or others do far more. If you d-l from camera, you will need it to
do the downloading.

>Nikon Picture Project 1.1, and

Again, basically, a very modest image enhancement/album software. Photoshop CS
is hands down better - especially if you already have it. I mentioned CS,
because of the RAW capture/converter plug-in.

>Nikon Capture 4.1.3.

Now, this is a bit more of a program. I still use PS CSs' RAW converter (or
Adobe DNG), but Capture will do it. It also allows more PS-like control of the
images, but I still use PS CS. It will also allow wired-remote control/capture
from D70 directly via computer (ideally a laptop).

>What the heck is the diffrence between them? I am familar with
>photoshop and elements, are these Nikons versions? Do I need these if I
>have photoshop or elements?

See above. If you shoot RAW, and do not have PS CS, you will want Capture.

>Thanks in advance :)

Caveat - if you have PS CS and the RAW plug-in (new one just out), and you
then install Nikon View &/or Capture, your PS CS will revert to a minimum RAW,
so you will need to do a Remove of the Nikon plug-ins to get back to the full
PS RAW screen. Do a Google.Groups Search for that on this NG, as it has been
talked about quite a bit lately, and I just don't recall the two locations of
those pesky plug-ins and don't want to screw up you system.

Hope this helps,
Hunt
February 8, 2005 7:09:49 AM

On 07 Feb 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Hunt wrote:

> In article <1107826037.884165.74890@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> luciniathefletcher@yahoo.com says...
>>There is:
>>Nikon View 6.2.1,
>
> Basically, the software for downloading directly from your camera.
> If you use a CF card reader, its only function would be a modest
> album feature, but ThumbsPlus, or others do far more. If you d-l
> from camera, you will need it to do the downloading.

Actually, XP recognizes the camera (or rather, the CF card); all you have
to do is plug the camera into a USB port. I haven't tried other OSes
yet; normally, I use the card in a PCMCIA slot reader.

> See above. If you shoot RAW, and do not have PS CS, you will want
> Capture.

I've used GIMP 2.2 (http://gimp.org/) with a dcraw plugin
(http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) successfully on both XP and
Linux. I also recently needed a quick batch conversion, so I tried
RawView (http://www.through-the-lens.net/index.php?page=5), and got
decent if non-spectacular results. It requires that you have Java
installed. All are free software.

There is a thread in r.p.d.slr-systems within the past week titled 'Nikon
View vs Picture Project vs Nikon Capture' which has some added
information.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

On 7 Feb 2005 17:27:17 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Lucinia"
<luciniathefletcher@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is the diffrence between all the software that Nikon has for the
>D70?
>
>There is:
>Nikon View 6.2.1,

Older software that was bundled with Nikon Cameras. The View part is an
album/viewer that can autolaunch for transfers, Bundled is the Nikon
Editor, a cut down version of the Nikon Capture Editor that allows you to
process raw NEFs with a limited set of adjustments, as well as make other
rudimentary corrections. Still freely available on the tech site. Much
better interface than Picture Project. NEF plugin doesn't work with PSP.

>Nikon Picture Project 1.1, and

Latest version of software bundled with cameras. has a dumbed down
interface. Lasted less than 30 min on my machine. NEF plugin will work with
PSP from what I hear.

>Nikon Capture 4.1.3.

Includes the Capture Editor and Remote Control. The editor allows full
processing of NEF. Remote allows dslrs to be remotely controlled in a
tethered mode.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
February 8, 2005 8:20:10 AM

If you already have Photoshop CS (with the D70 RAW update), there's no
need to bother with any of the Nikon software, unless you want to be
able to upload or modify custom tone curves. (See the D70 manual for
what these are.)

I installed the 30-day trial version of Nikon Capture, uploaded a
custom tone curve that I got off the web and will probably never use
Nikon Capture again.

Gary
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:33:44 AM

On 8 Feb 2005 05:20:10 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
nonesuch1960@hotmail.com (Gary Jones) wrote:

>If you already have Photoshop CS (with the D70 RAW update), there's no
>need to bother with any of the Nikon software, unless you want to be
>able to upload or modify custom tone curves. (See the D70 manual for
>what these are.)
>
>I installed the 30-day trial version of Nikon Capture, uploaded a
>custom tone curve that I got off the web and will probably never use
>Nikon Capture again.

Two possible other reasons are the need to batch process raw images
and the need to remote control the camera.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:17:09 PM

Joe Makowiec <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Actually, XP recognizes the camera (or rather, the CF card); all you have
>to do is plug the camera into a USB port. I haven't tried other OSes
>yet; normally, I use the card in a PCMCIA slot reader.

Win 2000 also recognises the camera as a removable drive.
Simply drag and drop the photos from the camera to a directory
on your hard-drive. No need to install any special software.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

Joe Makowiec <makowiec@invalid.invalid> schrieb:

>> See above. If you shoot RAW, and do not have PS CS, you will want
>> Capture.
>
> I've used GIMP 2.2 (http://gimp.org/) with a dcraw plugin
> (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) successfully on both XP and
> Linux. I also recently needed a quick batch conversion, so I tried
> RawView (http://www.through-the-lens.net/index.php?page=5), and got
> decent if non-spectacular results.

You should really try ufraw (ufraw.sf.net). It can convert standalone
or as a gimp plugin, under Linux and Windows. I think the newest version
can also do batch processing. This is free software.

Walter
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:07:57 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

Just one more question:

Can PS Elements offload and work with NEF RAW images?
February 8, 2005 6:58:50 PM

Also BEWARE of Kodak's software that comes free with their picture CD when
you have film developed. That sorry software is VERY aggressive. It caused
my Nikon software to fail. Reinstalling it did not help. Called Nikon and
the first question they asked was did I have Kodak software on my computer.
Nikon even has a small program on their CD to correct this problem so the
Nikon software will work after I deleted the Kodak junk!

!