Sign in with
Your question

Problem with my new PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2011 3:24:28 PM

Hi all,

i recently mounted a new setup for my PC.

i bought an i5 760, a pair of 4Gb Gskill Ripjaws CL7 @ 1600Mhz, bought an asus motherboard P7P55D-E and i still have my old graphic card Geforce 7950 GT 512Mb.
the PSU is a LCPower 8700 with 700w of power.

Didnt make any overclock here, its a default system running windows 7_x64.

my first question here, is this PSU enough for this setup? despite the fact that this PSU is around 3 or 4 years old?

My problem now is that, every time i run a game, usually Call of Duty 4, the system reaches a point where it simply shuts down unexpectedly! Just Poof!

the best log i have is:

Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
Source: Kernel-Power
User: System
Task Category: (63)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

------------------------------------------------------------

Event ID: 6008
Level: Error
Source: Event Log
User: N/A
Task Category: None

"The previous system shutdown at 11:08:05 PM on ‎1/‎1/‎2011 was unexpected."

------------------------------------------------------------

This never happened to me before, so i have no idea what can it be, the only pattern i see here is the graphic card and the psu.

Graphic card too old....psu getting cranked up???

Would be great to have some of you guys analysis so i can trouble shoot this.

Im getting a new graphic card in 2 days, im going for the Sapphire 5850 and now im getting scared about this error.

Do you guys think this psu will deal with this graphic card?
By the way, im buying this card for 166€ which in my opinion its a fantastic deal, what do you guys think regarding the graphic card? i read that its better than the 6850 and way better than the gtx 460.

would like to have your thoughts on that to.

regards

More about : problem

a c 160 Î Nvidia
a c 1406 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 4:11:21 PM

It is possible that your PSU is failing although size wise it is more than you need. I would though start with running memtest for the ram http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 4:25:37 PM

What are you CPU temperatures?
Have you run a memory test?

I cannot find any info on the PSU. What are the Values for the Voltage and Amps?

in general a 700W PSU should be enough even for the 5850.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 4:26:44 PM

Here is a shot of what it looks like inside your unit. A high quality unit will have much more cooling and heaver duty components than this. So check your volts in bios and in windows (utility) to help narrow things down. Once you are done check the card as well. The 7900 and the 7950 series had their own issues when it came to failure. On the back side of the card towards the rear there is a small rectangular chip that is known to overheat and fail.
January 2, 2011 8:25:33 PM

rolli59 said:
It is possible that your PSU is failing although size wise it is more than you need. I would though start with running memtest for the ram http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

thank you for the comment.

In this case the motherboard itself performs a memory test, it even has its own little button to troubleshoot memory issues. i had it running @ 1600Mhz which is supported by the ram and the motherboard.

this motherboard is the same as mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azllBzU5PU&feature=play...

that guy had issues but i never had issues with the ram modules, in fact im quite happy with them, supper fast modules. although i do not fully discard it but my guess goes to a graphic card issue or psu.

the motherboard can perform memory tests right? if not i can do it with Hireens boot cd, right?

thanks again, regards
January 2, 2011 8:34:59 PM

Emerald said:
What are you CPU temperatures?
Have you run a memory test?

I cannot find any info on the PSU. What are the Values for the Voltage and Amps?

in general a 700W PSU should be enough even for the 5850.

thank you for the help to Emerald,

well, the temperatures seam fien to me. im still running the stock cooler and i put some thermal compound Cooler Marster HTK-002. CPU has a value of 45º(in the bios), but when i run asus probe in the OS, i get 41-43 idle and in load average will have around 48º-55º which i think its very reasonable for a stock cooler, right?

about this psu but i have all the info here:

http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=167&L=1

what you guys think of the psu values on that link?

regards
January 2, 2011 8:44:48 PM

nforce4max said:
http://itcafe.hu/dl/upc/2010-08/138857_lc-power_lc655_bele.jpg

Here is a shot of what it looks like inside your unit. A high quality unit will have much more cooling and heaver duty components than this. So check your volts in bios and in windows (utility) to help narrow things down. Once you are done check the card as well. The 7900 and the 7950 series had their own issues when it came to failure. On the back side of the card towards the rear there is a small rectangular chip that is known to overheat and fail.

hey thank you,

even though this psu is quite old (from 2007) maybe it still usable right? and i never had an issue until now. i dont know much about voltages though, im not too much into OC yet... so could you lead me to what would i be looking for here? i mean, i know that ram frequency should be 1.5v but the motherboard puts it running at 1333Mhz. i had to tweek a little bit so i could get the 1600Mhz, but you can do this from bios with ease no OC so far.

ill try to find that rectangular chip, seams interesting that one, never heard of it. this GPU sux now anyway, glad ill have a brand new one in couple of days but now im worried about the psu.

another thing i find is that when im in game, it wont last long. and today i had an uptime around 10hours straight with no gaming though.
January 5, 2011 8:13:35 AM

UPDATE:

i have purchased a new Sapphire 5850, what a card!

i tryed Call of Duty 4 and its a huge difference from my old Geforce 7950GT, huge difference.

unfortunately the problem persists. i was able to play a little bit and then i left thhe game, then i was in the middle of the new Medal of Honor installation and it just shutdown completely. im tied up here, i aint got a new psu to test it it is from the psu but i noticed this:

i have a loose cable taped to the psu so it wont get in the cpu coolerś way (it was simple way of not letting teh cable loose around the cpu fan) so wile i was installing MOH i touched the psu because the cable was un glueing from the psu. te cable is fine i only taped it to the back of the psu for arrangement purpose. teh moment i touched the psu it went down.

im getting really disappointed here, have a new system and i cant seam to stabilize it. Please help me here!

im guessing its the psu but i can also be the motherboard or the cpu althhough the cpu temperatures are fine. how can i see if the motherboard has a problem? teh memories are fine, they pass the test.

can a sata disk be the cause of it? damn....

would be very grateful if anyone can give me a and here.

regards
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 8:36:30 AM

ph4ntom74 said:

about this psu but i have all the info here:

http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=167&L=1

what you guys think of the psu values on that link?

regards

On the paper the PSU is a good one if you are still in the warranty period then RMA will be the best option
January 5, 2011 9:14:01 AM

Anik8 said:
On the paper the PSU is a good one if you are still in the warranty period then RMA will be the best option

hi mate, tanks for trying to help.

the psu is already 4 years old so no warrenty for that :( 

the problem is that i have read a lot of problems with my same motherboard so im starting to get suspicious about the motherboad, although my first suspicion is for the psu.

i dont have another psu so i guess that only leaves me with taking theh motherboard to the store and ask for another one.
!