Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Freezing Problems

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2011 1:41:40 AM

First of all I'd like to thank toms hardware for being a great help when building my pc which is running pretty well right now, so thank you everyone :D 

anyways, to the problem. My computer has a semi-serious issue with freezing when im not on it. I dont know what exactly happens because I'm usually not around when it happens but if I leave my computer on for half an hour or longer unused, for dinner, or a washroom break or anything like that, it freezes. My mouse and keyboard die and everything on my computer freezes (spinning avast symbol as well as time are frozen) however the computer itself is on. With all the other kinks and bugs in my pc ive left this till the last minute because if im on my computer its usually on 4 hour bursts anyways, but downloading video games over night can be tedious :p 

I already set the power saving settings to never sleep/hibernate/shut off HDD etc. Yet none of that has worked. Ive scoured through my bios trying to find something that might affect this but what little i understood doesnt seem like it would make a difference.

Anyways i was hoping you guys over here at toms hardware could halp me out a bit
thanks in advance
March 8, 2011 9:27:12 AM

What OS?
did you look at you system event logs to see if it recorded a system error or something?

m
l

Best solution

March 8, 2011 1:17:01 PM

Check your power saving features for your CPU. It could be a C1E state or something like that. There's also hard drive hibernate settings in your bios. Spend a little longer poking around there. I've had a lot of systems freeze on hibernate, but it's weird you disabled it in Windows and it's still coming up.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 17, 2011 1:31:52 AM

sorry for the extremely late reply, i was under the impression that i cancelled posting the topic but my inbox (which i check maybe once monthly) says otherwise lol.
Anyways i have windows 7 64 bit ultimate and i dont know what a c1e or system error log is or any of that, I'm afraid my tech knowledge stops once I put my parts together lol

anyways the crashing is still happening and usually only when im not around. Although this isnt the best way to track it im sure, i once set a download before turning off my monitor and a few hours later only about 1/2 an hour's worth of data was downloaded. I definitely use my pc for more than half an hour at a time so im pretty sure my pc only freezes/crashes when im not actively using it.

any help would be greatly appreciated
m
l
March 25, 2011 5:23:05 AM

System event logs:

Right click "computer" icon on desk top
select "manage" from drop down
click on arrow next to "event view" in the left pane
you should see in the main viewing pane "summary of system events" underneath this you should see "Critical" and Error"
clicking the + sign expands these.
start with the critical one are there any critical errors?
mark down the event ID and source and post it back to use
m
l
April 2, 2011 6:00:29 PM

Best answer selected by xalexon.
m
l
April 3, 2011 12:00:46 AM

Did you get it figured out?

You can go to screen saver options and eventually that leads to Power Management. Adjust your power saving features so the hard drive does or doesn't go off and adjust it between hibernate and sleep. One of the settings might not be compatible.

C1E state. Go into your bios (usually 'Delete' at startup) and look for CPU options or power saving features. Change your minimum CPU state. You can post specific info in the forum or look up the individual bios options on Google.

Usually the crashing is because one of your hardware items isn't compatible with one of your sleep states.
m
l
May 6, 2013 1:28:29 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes
No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers especially the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI ontrollers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.
m
l
!