Sign in with
Your question

Anyone know why this ram was discont'd

Last response: in Memory
February 8, 2012 1:55:36 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i figured it was just out of stock, but seems like it's gone for good. gskill still sells basically the same ram except as 4 sticks for 8gb @1600mhz , instead of these that were 2 sticks for 8gb @1600mhz.

More about : ram discont

a b } Memory
February 8, 2012 2:12:19 AM

newegg dosent have em anymore.... im pretty sure there still made though
m
l
February 8, 2012 2:39:47 AM

did not see them on amazon, nor tigerdirect....feel free to supply a link.
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2012 4:26:39 AM

no. the sniper ram is cas 9 and it's 2t. the closest thing they have is 8gb eco cas 8 1.35 but 4 sticks, and also it's denoted as 2t. the two stick version runs at specs 1t.
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
February 8, 2012 4:35:20 AM

I think it might be because of the 1.35V. Less and less people use these.

No demand, as the new CPU's prefers 1.5V.
m
l
February 8, 2012 5:00:13 AM

nikorr, correct me if i'm wrong but i think the only issue is going over 1.5 not under it. the other thing is, a lot of people buy these lower voltage kits to manually turn the voltage up to 1.5 for the sake of pushing the ram's timings/mhz further.
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
February 8, 2012 5:30:31 AM

Frizzo said:
nikorr, correct me if i'm wrong but i think the only issue is going over 1.5 not under it. the other thing is, a lot of people buy these lower voltage kits to manually turn the voltage up to 1.5 for the sake of pushing the ram's timings/mhz further.

I do understand your point, but from the selling point they have 12 models line up @ 1.35V,

but the numbers of sold RAM sticks, 1.5V is the king.

1.35V is maybe viewed as for "few" enthusiast.

The warranty is voided on the Intel i7 and i5 line if anything else is used than 1.5V and it may have resulted in lower need for that voltage.

Especially when they still have them on sale.

Of course I could be wrong, but if there is less demand, something will be axed.
m
l
a c 151 } Memory
February 8, 2012 5:31:03 AM

I believe that to be in spec the Sandy Bridge memory controller needs to be in the 1.5v range. I am not sure it has problems at lower voltage but since there are not more ultra low volt kits it might. The lack of available kits also imply that AMD does not like the 1.35v stuff either. I know that quite a few kits/motherboards have problems at a 1T command rate.

There is actually a DDR3 1600 cas 7-8-7-24 kit at 1.35v so making the low voltage memory fast does not seem to be a problem. So it pretty much has to be memory controllers not liking it. I know it worked well with LGA 1156 but I have not used it enough to say if there are issues with other chips.
m
l
February 8, 2012 5:59:33 AM

need that intel guy on here to reply. i generally think people don't buy them because they don't trust them...."eco" ecological ...anything "green" in the computer world scares people, the green hard drives for example. those snipers are 1.25v so i really doubt they went even lower than 1.35 if there was any problem.
m
l
February 8, 2012 6:01:32 AM

one other thing, i've seen that memory sell out multiple times off newegg. it went "out of stock" then was restocked, the last time it went out of stock though, it was completely deactivated.
m
l
!