Asus P8P67 LE Memory sticks rock in slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Hello,
I know this mobo has been discussed a thousand times and you might be as sick of it as I am however I think I have found a problem that might also be an answer for memory issues and would like to hear your view/advice/opinion on it.

As my heading says, my memory which is Corsair 1600 XMS x2 = 8GB rocks in the memory slots about 1mm~2mm you can hear them click

I been having memory issues where the computer would just lock up and all you would see on screen is the last thing it was doing but you could not get it back from that state e.g. ctrl alt del etc

It went back to the shop with mem and cpu an i5 2500K but they couldn't find a problem with it. It later went back again to supposedly the supplier but they couldn't find a fault and suggested it was a cpu pin out of place (yeah pull the other leg.. talk about being insulted) anyway I brought it back home and on the first boot up I could make it fail by rocking the memory chips. It seems they don't sit completely home no matter how you try.

Should the memory stick rock in their sockets? ( I know they shouldn't but I would like your input)
Is that reason enough to get the board replaced?
One other question should I be able to use either set of memory slots as one set is blue which I am using and the other two are black which the compute will not work with them in.
I read in a previous post where this board had shorted memory slots.

Thanks in advanced.

Solution

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
This is a gif image that shows the rocking.. view it in a browser for the gif to work.

memory%20holder%20clips%20faulty.gif

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

Hi Nikor

thanks for the input.
I have made sure it is in the correct way. I believe the locking mechanism is not working correctly. It is hard to see but the lock undoes just slightly when the chip is pressed at one end. This can cause chip creep which is why I think the computer is freezing up.

Will post close up of both sides of mem later today AU time.

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

Hi Nikor

thanks for the input.
I have made sure it is in the correct way. I believe the locking mechanism is not working correctly. It is hard to see but the lock undoes just slightly when the chip is pressed at one end. This can cause chip creep which is why I think the computer is freezing up.

Will post close up of both sides of mem later today AU time.

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Hi Nikor,

Thanks again for the assistance I should have explained that I have been building computers for over 25 years including servers of all types so I do have a handle on memory.

What I was trying to find out, is there anyone out there that has a P8P67 LE ver X.XX and had a problem with the computer freezing where the screen continues to display the last image just before the freeze. I have read countless message like this but no one had an answer. I am suggesting it is because the memory sockets on the mobo are faulty, as they don't lock the memory in place correctly.

If they have had this problem then it could be memory that "creeps:moves only slightly" in the memory slots as the system goes from hot to cold or vise versa.

The reason that the memory can creep in this case is that the memory sockets are not locking the memory in properly.
The ends of the memory where the lock system is, moves slightly and to demonstrate that I applied some pressure to one end of a stick of memory which will cause it to fail. This will not happen on other mobos as the memory will not move because the memory locks don't allow any memory movement e.g. doesn't allow it to rock. The other way this could happen is when the environment/inside the computer case changes temperature.

Asus%2520P8p67%2520le%2520B3%2520cpu-z%2520mainboard%2520info%2520note%2520Rev%2520X.0X.jpg

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
On further investigation I have found that the memory sockets are actually bowed.
To illustrate this I have placed a memory chip in the socket so you can see how the middle of the memory is actually lower in the socket than at the ends. This problem does explain why the memory chips can rock in the socket.

I also found that the memory sockets are not soldered to the mobo all the way to their stops which means these boards have been produced with a fault.

I will post a photo of the solder error soon.
Posted here now is a photo of the bow in the sockets.

Asus%2520P8P67%2520LE%2520memory%2520slot%2520bowed%2520in%2520centre%2520causing%2520memory%2520movement%252019-02-2012%25209-48-17%2520PM%2520800x531.jpg

Wow, good catch. It is not done properly at all. It is easy to tel from the pic.

Well, replacement is a must here! Hard to believe that it actually passes the quality check.

Solution

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

Hi nikorr, thanks again for the feed back.

I thought I was going mad with this mobo but I have finally found the proof I needed.

The next photo will show even better the poor quality control keeping in mind that no socketed item should be off the mobo if done correctly.

The thing is that their must be guys out there that have had the screen lookups and it could be due the the memory sockets.

Perhaps this will help them get a satisfactory resolution from Asus i.e. board replaced.

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Further example why your computer could Freeze while in the middle of use.

Note two things in this photo
1. The Memory socket is not soldered to the motherboard and leaves a change in height. This will affect memory functionality and reliability
2. Looking at the right hand side of the picture which is the end of this bank of memory slots note how the first slot is off the motherboard as mentioned earlier and that the next blue slot is actually on an angle! Poor quality control most likely due to the rush to get the updated Sandybridge boards out.

asus%2520joined%2520memory%2520socket%2520on%2520motherboard%252019-02-2012%252011-23-16%2520PM%25202257x1393001.jpg

Added image separately to help see the memory sockets clearly
Asus%2520mobo%2520memory%2520slots%2520with%2520poor%2520quality%2520installation%2520and%2520quality%2520control%252020-02-2012%25207-10-38%2520PM%25201500x618.jpg

lateralnw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I have two updates for all you budding computer builders if in Australia.

1. It has taken a year to get a resolution from Asus indirectly and directly. Forget about getting good service from Asus you get good lip service but not good service like you seem to get in North America.
The board has been proven to be faulty and manufactured poorly and should have been replaced simply based on the photographic evidence however Asus insisted that the board be shipped to them within Australia at my cost and refused to do cross shipping.

First time I have used Asus for a mobo as I usually use Gigabyte and as far as warranty goes in Melbourne.au you can't beat Gigabyte.

However in a final frustrated effort before I went to Australia's small claims tribunal I spoke to my sellers CEO who agreed with me about the fault and not only offered a refund but also at my request supplied me with a Z68 upgraded model board.

I did have trouble getting his tech department to recognise the problem.

The upshot of this if you have had screen lock up's and you have a 2011 march april around that time mobo, I would seriously check to see if it was poorly manufactured. Remember this was when Intel had made an error with their Sandybridge chipset and all mobo manufacturers had to recall their product and create new or refit their old ones.

On a closing note here is a photo of my new mobos memory sockets the way they should be.

Asus%2520memory%2520slot%2520on%2520new%2520P8Z68-V%2520PRO%2520GEN3%2520web.jpg

While quietly hopeful l won't have any further problems l'll just wait until l have the new one running for while and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.