Sign in with
Your question

Video card upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2011 6:33:50 PM

My pc is this Intel Core2Duo E4400 2.4 ghz oc, 3 gb ram ddr2, asus eax1650 silent, asus p5ld2 se, spire 5x0 w.

I was thinking about buying a new power supply and gpu... I was thinking about a sapphire hd6950 and a corsair 550w

what do you think it would be better this upgarde or an upgrade to an phenom x4 and a gtx 460.

I am interested which would be more powerfull not about which is more efficient. Anyway the first choice would be cheaper

I play ib full hd this min on an 1080p resolution. Thx

More about : video card upgrade

a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 8:06:50 PM

What is the make and model of your current PSU? You offer the option of the Phenom X4 and gtx 460 w/o a PSU upgrade, does that mean you know current system will handle theGTX 460?

If you have Intel Core2Duo CPU, and therefore an Intel based mobo, how will you upgrade to Phenom x4? What about mobo? And if mobo, memory for it?

I don't understand those options. You might want to visit http://www.upgradevideocards.com/ to review what you want to do and need to consider for an upgrade. Then come back list all system components and define your objectives and budget.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 8:29:19 PM

You want to play what game in full HD?

The HD6950 might be a little too high-end for your rig, you CPU might hold it back (how much, it would depend on the game, for some the CPU won't impact it at all). An ATI 5770 might be more than enough for you needs and save you at least 150$. If you know you will be upgrading the rest of your rig in the next 6 months and reuse that video card, then yes a 6950 might be ok.
Related resources
January 2, 2011 8:57:05 PM

If you can OC your cpu to +3ghz, I would just get a GTX 460 1GB.
You should be able to play nearly all games with high settings at 1920x1080.
January 2, 2011 10:12:27 PM

So I have max $600 to spend on upgrading my pc. Sadly I live in Romania and here prices are higher... Anyway I want yo upgrade mainly my gpu+psu (power supply)... Of course puyying a dx11 mainstream or better would be bottlenexked by my old poor cpu... This why I have 2 choices: 1. high-end gpu+ psu or 2.mainstream gpu+psu+cpu... But the only chance to changr cheap my cpyu would be a phenom x4 on am3. But for this i have to buy a kit cpu+mb+ram ddr3.
The first choise would be cheaper and wirh rhe rest of the money I could buy a cooler for my cpu and by this having a dual core at 3ghz or more with oc.

What is better (doesnt matter how efficient)?
hd6950 and core2duo oc or phenom x4 and gtx460 :bounce:  :bounce: 

I won't fp any further upgrade for the next 2 years when I will buy a high-end computer... Mainly then for 3d modeling

FOR NOW I am interested to max out games in full hd... or at least to play smoothly at high aettings...
January 2, 2011 10:15:42 PM

I would go for an AM2+ build and reuse the DDR2. =]

You'll save enough money to get a nice GPU.
A Phenom II x4 and a GTX 460 would be the better buy.
January 2, 2011 10:29:17 PM

:non:  using AM2+... too old...
If it is to think about upgrading I'll use AM3... and i do not care about memory cause it is cheap.
But can anyone how big would be the limitayion produced by my pc with a hd6950 cause chosing this option I would be at least $100 bucks cheaper and for me it matters, :pt1cable: 
January 3, 2011 1:15:56 PM

So please can anyone give me information, articles, reviews about gpu limitations by cpu...
FOr example I saw a test and an E2100 and a GTX460 work pretty good
In the worst case the limitation was about ~20 FPS case rather than the best CPU
For my is not a huge limitation... I mean I will use this PC mostly for games ;) 
:na: 
I can OC my cpu up to 2.6 ghz with this small stock cooler and probably ove 3 with a schyte mugen cooler
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 4:40:10 PM

What type of mobo do you have?Maybe you can keep your current mobo and just upgrade the CPU.

But if your looking to max out all current games at your resoultion i would reccomend the 6950.And at 1080p that extra 2g of ram the 6950 has will make it even better.
January 3, 2011 6:03:59 PM

I have as MB an ASUS P5LD2 SE... I don't know if it supports this kind of CPU's.. on the box it writes that it supports P4, PD, Celeron, Core2Duo, Core2Extreme... About buying I will buy them by licitation or how it is calle with the help of a friend so it will not be a disaseter if you give that links... I just found a review about a GTX460 put on 10 cpus from E2140 to 980X and it look like in games there is practical almost not difference in most of games from a 3 GHZ dual core cpu to a 980X... This for a mid end - low high...

I think I will take this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So with this I will have a dual core cpu at 3ghz or more, hd6950 (hd6970 possible modding), 550w corsair, and i will put more ram to have 4 gb ddr2... does it starts to look good?

I will keep this system for 2 years so it is not for future...

How can I know what case I have?

a c 214 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 6:25:40 PM

If your mobo is Socket LGA775 then it will support those quad core's and i think it is.

Still just doesn't seem right running such a high end card on a dual core.I was always told that quad cores unleash high end cards maximum potential.And it is better in the long run to get a quad core because it will last more than 2 years.

And for the price you pay for tha PSU you could get a better one for the same price,have a look at this.
Same price but is bigger.They did have an Antec 650watt for sale but it is no longer there.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 6:56:57 PM

The Black Alchemist said:
:non:  using AM2+... too old...
If it is to think about upgrading I'll use AM3... and i do not care about memory cause it is cheap.
But can anyone how big would be the limitayion produced by my pc with a hd6950 cause chosing this option I would be at least $100 bucks cheaper and for me it matters, :pt1cable: 

I am using a AM2+ build and not every one can afford to make the move to am3 as the added cost for the ram and the board is more than some can afford or willing to spend yet.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 6:59:04 PM

Just get a cheap low wattage card that is in your price range and start saving up for a rebuild later on down the road.
January 3, 2011 7:21:49 PM

My MB is LGA775 Intel 945P. But I had heard that on this socket is not like on 1156 or AM3. You can't just put any CPU with that socket. Corect me if I am wrong! If i can put any cpu with this socket I put an $100 for the CPU.
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 7:37:18 PM

If you can put anything in it you can get the cheap quad cores that are around 2.5ghz and overclock that,i'm sure it will O.C. well maybe around 3.2ghz.Otherwise the regular quad cores are still very expensive.Up to you but you could even wait for the Sandy Bridge to come out,they have DDR3.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 7:41:37 PM

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_ma...

It makes a lot of you seam unintelligent when suggesting a quad core when the board that the op has can only use a dual core. Not every 775 supports a quad. Amazing how quickly people lose memory of this generation and it hasn't been very long at all since 1356 and 1156 took it's place.
January 4, 2011 10:49:40 AM

I do not care if there is a bottleneck as long as the game is playable... Pleas answer me how huge it would be if I keep a HD6950 on a Intel Core2Duo OC... I will raise the CPU frequency to make it be at the level of an E8000 it is already on class upped with the OC...
Keep in mind that I will play on high resolutions 1080p where limitations are smaller ... I like to max out games and in this situation the bottlenecks starts to vanish..

About bottlenecking I read that my cpu would be limitated even by an 8800GTS (I had not found information newer than 2009 about this cpu)... I have to say that I owned one and there was no bottleneck... I know there is huge difference between 8800 and 6950 but still...
I need your oppinion because for example they say on reviews that un need a quad core for gta 4 and i hadn't any problem with a dual core at max traffic... and it was the only game that stressed a lot my cpu...

So would be this combination so bad...
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 11:23:48 AM

nforce4max said:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_ma...

It makes a lot of you seam unintelligent when suggesting a quad core when the board that the op has can only use a dual core. Not every 775 supports a quad. Amazing how quickly people lose memory of this generation and it hasn't been very long at all since 1356 and 1156 took it's place.
^+1 Not all LGA775 supported even C2D some were stuck with P4 and the 1st gen that supported C2D didn't all support the Wolfdale core (45nm), the OP's MB is one of them; it doesn't support anything with 45nm, at least not officially. The best he could probably upgrade to is some E6### series CPU.
January 4, 2011 12:22:28 PM

I understood this... I need answer for the other problem... If I want to move on quad I will buy a Phenom X4 because it is the cheapest way and I do not want somthing for future, just for now... I want to know how bad would be a 6950 with a 3ghz dual core
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 12:34:51 PM

I understood this... I need answer for the other problem... If I want to move on quad I will buy a Phenom X4 because it is the cheapest way and I do not want somthing for future, just for now... I want to know how bad would be a 6950 with a 3ghz dual core

You will not see any ware near the full performance of the card but games that are not cpu intensive will still see a massive boost in performance and will be forced into playing higher ress. I know that sounds strange but the cpu is typically the weak link for those like my self who play at a lower ress. As for the quad good luck and be careful about which wattage class that you aim for as not all boards can handle 125 and 140 watt class cpus.
January 4, 2011 1:21:33 PM

I have to add... I usually don't play cpu dependent games such as rts or mmorpg....
Most games I play are survival horror, shooters, adventure, and simulators (this is the only type of games where I am cpu limited even now but I can survive for 2 years... )
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 11:44:32 AM

My opinion stays unchanged, I still think a 5770 would be more than enough for your current build and your PSU probably delivers enough to support it, anything above a 6850 or GTX 460 1GB would just be overkill unless you plan on upgrading your PC in the next few months.
January 5, 2011 4:21:10 PM

Understand that I don't have ant fixed plans in upgrading... HD5770 is to weak for Full HD and max details... If it is to not buy my love, 6950, i'll buy a 6850/560 and an upgrade to cpu to a phenom x4... understand that if I take the 6950 and PSU I'll have anothe 100-200 bucks for upgrading but I don not think there is anything to take in consideration in this money...
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 5:20:17 PM

I use Metro 2033 as a "benchmark" since it's very GPU dependent, very little CPU dependent and probably one of the most taxing game right now. Take a look at these results (2nd graph is for full 1080p). Basically the min/avg FPS for some cards would be:
  • HD 5770: 25/33
  • GTX 460 1GB: 31/42
  • HD 6850: 37/55
  • HD6950: ~44/65 (estimated since it behaves pretty much like a 5870)

Given that Metro 2033 is the most demanding game around, those are therefore worst case scenarios and all cards will give much better results in most games (just switching do DX9 for Metro 2033 gives an average 25% performance boost with close to no visual difference).

Choose the performance you want, choose the compromise you might be willing to make, in the end you chose the price.

Oh and to play the devil's advocate, I heard you can softmod a 6950 to a 6970 just by flashing the card's BIOS :p .
    January 5, 2011 6:12:25 PM

The Black Alchemist I understand what you are tring to do (I was thinking of doing the same) the same but I think it is pretty much impossible, shouldn't it be better just to do a full upgrade and spend a little bit less on graphics ?

This is my humble opinion ;) 

Sorry for the offtopic. By the way how much does a GTX 460 1GB cost in Romania, just curious.
    I live in Bulgaria :) 
    January 5, 2011 6:17:34 PM

True... but in most cases useless... because your can reach HD6970 power just by OC... The 69x0 is the same as build no matter the number....

For me it looks like I will choose between GTX560 and HD6950, probably the second... more for the tempation of having a highe -end than the need... :D  I like OC-ing and moding
    January 5, 2011 6:52:37 PM

With some help I may reach this budget and possible to buy it...
    Tell me if it does worth beacause I am pretty serious in buying the 6950...

All costs 700$ ... 100 bucks over my budget but maybe I ll make the money in short time...
    a b U Graphics card
    January 5, 2011 7:26:22 PM

The only issue I see is you seem to have selected a single DIMM, so no dual channel. It will work, but I would get that instead. Since you are now talking about a new system, you might want to wait Jan. 9th for Sandy Bridge, the entry-level i3-2100 (2.93GHz) is supposed to be priced at 117$ and slightly better i3-2120 (3.3GHz) would be priced at 136$. Both support hyperthreading so 2 physical cores, 4 virtual ones. Moreover, you would be able to switch to the newer quad CPUs. No news on MB prices tho, but I guess they will be priced closely to the P55s.
    January 6, 2011 10:24:29 AM

VGKitov said:
    The Black Alchemist I understand what you are tring to do (I was thinking of doing the same) the same but I think it is pretty much impossible, shouldn't it be better just to do a full upgrade and spend a little bit less on graphics ?

This is my humble opinion ;) 

Sorry for the offtopic. By the way how much does a GTX 460 1GB cost in Romania, just curious.
    I live in Bulgaria :) 

About 800 RON normal version and between 900 - 1000 RON de OC and SOC versions... In Leva's it is about 350-400 for normal version and up to almost 500 lev's for soc version... In dollars it 's over 250$ the cheapest 1 gb version...
    I think it is cheaper in your country... I mean I spend very much time in Bulgaria, Veliko Tarnovo is the place of my soul, you may say that it is the second home of mine... And everything is soooo cheap... Hope I'll buy my new car before you raise the anounced taxes (this is what I heard... it is really offtopic... but I want to register my car in Bulgaria and I hope the tax hasn't change... and another of topic I have such good memorie from the time I was lost in Stara and Nova Zagora... that was the time when I was a newcommer). :hello: 
    So think that for this money I can buy for outerspace US a hd6950.... :kaola: 
    :D  And a GTX460 cost in US 220$... you understood now I hope what are the prices...

This is why I buy from West... :whistle:  :kaola:  :love:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
    January 6, 2011 10:27:31 AM

I am shocked than on newegg there is no 1155 MB... in Romania you can find them since December... :D  And a 1155 MB costs here >100 bucks
    January 6, 2011 1:03:59 PM

About 800 RON normal version and between 900 - 1000 RON de OC and SOC versions... In Leva's it is about 350-400 for normal version and up to almost 500 lev's for soc version... In dollars it 's over 250$ the cheapest 1 gb version...
    I think it is cheaper in your country... I mean I spend very much time in Bulgaria, Veliko Tarnovo is the place of my soul, you may say that it is the second home of mine... And everything is soooo cheap... Hope I'll buy my new car before you raise the anounced taxes (this is what I heard... it is really offtopic... but I want to register my car in Bulgaria and I hope the tax hasn't change... and another of topic I have such good memorie from the time I was lost in Stara and Nova Zagora... that was the time when I was a newcommer). :hello: 
    So think that for this money I can buy for outerspace US a hd6950.... :kaola: 
    :D  And a GTX460 cost in US 220$... you understood now I hope what are the prices...

This is why I buy from West... :whistle:  :kaola:  :love:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

Offtopic

I haven't heard about raises in taxes, but in BG you never know :D 

By the way the cheapest 1GB GTX 460 here is about 230USD ~350BGN (Levs) Sparkle and the Palit Sonic (not Platinum is around the same). Factory OC'd card though are a lot more expensive.

I'm glad you like our country, it's not the best, but you have got to love it :) 

The problem is that we do nat have discount like in the USA and 500 USD turns into 900BGN when it should be like 750BGN :( 

Astronomyical OFFTOPIC

By the way what car do you plan on buyng, just curious.
    January 6, 2011 4:47:18 PM

Not sure about the car I'll buy... I like Opel's... I am not reach to afford a BMW :kaola: 
    In my family there is a Daci Nova, Opel Astra (the one like GTC but with 4/5 doors ) and a Skoda Ocativa II :kaola:  the last has is engine tuned and the whole care is lowered for better fast driving :kaola:  :D  :bounce:  :ange: 

ET offtopic : cars i would like to buy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia_Sandero but just if new
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Vectra the b version 95-2002 just looks so great...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Astra H-J must be GTX :D 
    Donnow no actual budget it may be even a Volvo S/V 40 SH donnow what-when
    It is sure just that it ' ll be this year... :pt1cable: 
    Anyway being in the capital at just 50-60 km of Bulgaria is easy to register here, also because we are all UE... Oh about Romania and Bulgaria... The fact is that at origin I am from Russia :kaola: 
    Another amusing thing is that in half of Bulgaria I saw romanian city/town names :heink:  and that such as I know bulgarian, many know romanian... :lol: 
    and that in romania 1/4.5 cars haave bulgarian car plates :) 

So about the prices it looks like there are no big differences

It looks like tomorrow I do the buy... please tell me another opinions... suggest me smth in $600
    January 6, 2011 5:02:45 PM

What do you think about the GTX 460, so if you are buing from the USA, I should give you pricec from there right ? And what do you think about Toms December System Builder Marathone 500$ PC, you could get some better components and the price will get around 600$. Althoug they use an AMD CPU so I don't know if you will aprove it.
    All the components and benchmark are posted here:.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...
    I would get a more powerfull PSU and a better GPU .

PS Good luck with the car purchase :D 
    January 6, 2011 5:13:45 PM

Eliminating unnecessary components... I could get a x3 and a HD6950... still limitide sistem? anyway I think it is better than my actual cpu
    And from what i had seen the best cpu for 460 si x3 445 so a 6950 means very small bottleneck

THX... last year new furniture, FullHD HDTV and monitor, swiss watch, Galaxy S, many clothes, etc.... this year pc, car and with satan will others... Looks like I have a decent life :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 
    January 6, 2011 5:50:48 PM

I don't think there is much of a diffrence between GTX 460 and 6950 so the X3 should not hold you back and if you are lucky you can unlock it to a X4 (With the right Mobo of cource). And I think that both card's are more then adequate for gaming up to 1080p.

Some times life is great :D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9t6VSf3R68

Поздрави от България и успех в пазаруването.

Salutări din Bulgaria şi succes în cumpărături- It's from Google Translate, so I have no idea if thi is right :D 
    January 6, 2011 6:35:14 PM

You don't even have to upgrade your mobo actually, the highest CPU your mobo will support I believe is an Intel E6700 2.66Ghz 4MB L2 Cache 1066FSB and it's sufficient for gaming. Get a good cooler to go with it, OC it up to 3.2Ghz and bam bottlenecking problem resolved under $200. Remember, most games out there don't utilize more than 2-3 cores so a good dual core will have you set for a while if backed up with a good GPU and RAM.

...and yes an E6700 is very overclockable.
    January 6, 2011 6:50:51 PM

Sorry I meant the 6850, the 6950 is more expensive, but probably worth it :) 

Here's a review, to me it seem the 6850 slightly edges the GeForce GTX 460, I'm not a fan boy, I buy from the brand that gives me the most performance for the money.

I would appreciate your opinion on this subject TrueGamer.
    January 6, 2011 6:59:51 PM

VGKitov said:
    I don't think there is much of a diffrence between GTX 460 and 6950 so the X3 should not hold you back and if you are lucky you can unlock it to a X4 (With the right Mobo of cource). And I think that both card's are more then adequate for gaming up to 1080p.

Some times life is great :D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9t6VSf3R68

Поздрави от България и успех в пазаруването.

Salutări din Bulgaria şi succes în cumpărături- It's from Google Translate, so I have no idea if thi is right :D 

Yes you got it pretty right just to correct 'in' with 'la' and to mention that now we usually say shopping not cumparaturi
    Thx till now for advice

Multumesc
    La multi ani!!!

Много благодаръа
    Кхестита нова година

Къде живеете? :D 

Anyway good luck
    January 6, 2011 7:08:18 PM

2 ranks up and a pretty small differnce... I say it woths...

Betwen E4400 and E6700 is no big difference...
    from this site
    I don’t recommend upgrading your CPU unless the potential replacement is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel and you may not notice a worthwhile difference in game performance.

x3 minimum uprgade worthy...
    Remember I can hit easily 2.66 ghz with the original cooler... Why would I bother upgradin to an E6700...
    January 6, 2011 7:20:03 PM

VGKitov said:

Remember I can hit easily 2.66 ghz with the original cooler... Why would I bother upgradin to an E6700...

I'll tell you right now, I built a rig for my friend with a spare E6700 I had from a workstation from my ITT station, planted a custom Zalman CPU cooler and I OC'd that CPU to 3.5Ghz running at a safe 1.35-ish V recognized as 90% stable.

If you just get a better cooler, and a better CPU, you can forego getting a much more expensive CPU and a new mobo altogether, and have more $$$ for a better GPU.

January 6, 2011 7:25:22 PM

VGKitov said:
    Sorry I meant the 6850, the 6950 is more expensive, but probably worth it :) 

Here's a review, to me it seem the 6850 slightly edges the GeForce GTX 460, I'm not a fan boy, I buy from the brand that gives me the most performance for the money.

I would appreciate your opinion on this subject TrueGamer.

Oh, if it's the 6850 that's a whole 'nutha ball park. I didn't even notice you said 6850 and not 6950. Sorry. Well then I suggest the GTX 460 because even on paper, it's supposedly better than the 6850. Better pixel/texture fillrate + faster core clock. And it's proven benchmark wise too.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1059/pg1/inno3d-g...
    January 6, 2011 7:29:50 PM

Oh but E6700 is a cpu you can't find anymore... old 65 nm so nobody produce :( 
    January 6, 2011 7:38:00 PM

TheTrueGamer said:
    Oh, if it's the 6850 that's a whole 'nutha ball park. I didn't even notice you said 6850 and not 6950. Sorry. Well then I suggest the GTX 460 because even on paper, it's supposedly better than the 6850. Better pixel/texture fillrate + faster core clock. And it's proven benchmark wise too.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1059/pg1/inno3d-g...

No need to appologize, it was my mistake :) 

Yes I also thin the GTX 460 is better (+Great OC)
    January 6, 2011 7:41:36 PM

Yes you got it pretty right just to correct 'in' with 'la' and to mention that now we usually say shopping not cumparaturi
    Thx till now for advice

Multumesc
    La multi ani!!!

Много благодаръа
    Кхестита нова година

Къде живеете? :D 

Anyway good luck

За нищо

Честита Нова Година In Bulgaria it's common to say ЧНГ :D 

Живея в София (Sofia) :D  and you ?

You got Къде живеете exatly right :D 
    January 7, 2011 5:18:27 AM

Hello... today is my name day ;)  ... not christian but even so still my name day... Ivan...
    ЧНГ - Ch(Ts)ng ? At this things is often mistake... even if I am russian at origin (i do not speek very well russian) it is hard sometimes to pronounce it so how is the pronuntiation (misspelled word i know) ... I am not a good speeker even of romanian =)) ... did you know that romanian is at it follows: 50 latiin, 40% slavic, 10% dacic, thraci, greek and other western languages, oh and turkish ...

Живея в Букарест...

татко и сестра са били в София... morning and asleep
    So I never been in Sofia, but I always go when I can at Kaliakra festival...
    So funny I was at Scorpions 2 years ago and I met a drunk old man biker probably... and he gived me a botle of absinth just because my sister weared an rare fake shirt of motorhead... cool :D 
    Oh I never been with train in your country... I have seen a movie were action is in Odessa but was filmed in BUlgaria with Bulgarian trains... how come I have seen in movies and reality that you have antique trains ... cool
    Oh and you have pretty girls which are all very horny cool
    Oh I have soooo many memories all funny in Bulgaria...

Ahhh I can't stand the emotion of deciding on what I will buy... for my pc...

Hope I will go soon in Bulgaria...
    January 7, 2011 9:58:55 AM

Hello, happy name day I wish you all the best Ivan.
    ЧНГ -Ch N G :) 
    I din't know. We too have a lot of turkish words...

The trains are really antique, but in a bad way :D . They are pretty much from the time of the USSR, nowadays, he have some modern trains, but the majority is still Soviet Russian trains.

Ahhh I can't stand the emotion of deciding on what I will buy... for my pc... ----- I know what you mean it's awfull when you have to wait :D 
    !