Sign in with
Your question

CPU or RAM broken?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 8, 2012 2:25:22 AM

I found an Inspiron 531 someone discarded in my building. It didn't turn on, so I plugged in a spare P/S. Now, the fans will spin, and I hear the H/D spin, but no beeps or video output. Also, no heat was coming from the heatsink at all. Will a CPU generate heat when there's bad ram and the system doesn't POST?

More about : cpu ram broken

February 8, 2012 2:32:41 AM

Yea the cpu will still heat it up...

If there is no lights or sounds (still wont boot) it's more than likely the mobo, if you have ruled out the psu.
m
l
February 8, 2012 2:40:52 AM

Once I replaced the power supply, the lights will come on and fans and hard drives spin. But, no heat from the cpu. And no POST.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 2:43:13 AM

try baking the mobo in the oven at ~250-275* for half an hour and see if that fixes the problem. Many times people just don't clean, then dust builds up, and then chips begin to desolder themselves from the mobo causing any number of issues. Be sure to remove all heatsinks from the board before throwing it in the oven. And crack the windows open so you don't fume yourself out of your home in the process.
Also check the caps, many times it is just 1-2 bad caps which only cost a few bucks at your local electronics shop and are fairly easy to replace.

Other than that I am afraid you have a dead board. Too bad, but at least you have your negibor's personal information on their HDD... that could come in handy when they start to annoy you later :) 
m
l
February 10, 2012 3:24:17 AM

sounding like a dead mobo to me :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2012 3:34:28 AM

CaedenV said:
try baking the mobo in the oven at ~250-275* for half an hour and see if that fixes the problem. Many times people just don't clean, then dust builds up, and then chips begin to desolder themselves from the mobo causing any number of issues. Be sure to remove all heatsinks from the board before throwing it in the oven. And crack the windows open so you don't fume yourself out of your home in the process.
Also check the caps, many times it is just 1-2 bad caps which only cost a few bucks at your local electronics shop and are fairly easy to replace.

Other than that I am afraid you have a dead board. Too bad, but at least you have your negibor's personal information on their HDD... that could come in handy when they start to annoy you later :) 

Are you serious? Seriously, I want to know if I can fix all my dead mobos by baking them all in the oven. But isn't that heat just going to burn out the mobo?
m
l
February 12, 2012 8:23:53 PM

e56imfg said:
Are you serious? Seriously, I want to know if I can fix all my dead mobos by baking them all in the oven. But isn't that heat just going to burn out the mobo?

Pahaha, no. Not all mobo's can just be repaired by baking them, it only fixes them if some solder has separated... it's more common in GPU's from what I have seen.. baking a mobo wont fix a physically damaged mobo.
m
l
!