Opinions Kodak CX6445

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 7, 2005 10:41:05 PM

I'm considering this as a backup for my Canon Digital Rebel. It's a
consumer-grade 4 megapixel P & S camera.

Obviously I wouldn't consider it in the same grade as cameras like the Nikon
Coolpix 5400 or 5700, Canon Powershot G3, but if it's in the same league as
a camera like the Canon Powershot A80 (which is also 4 megapixels, but does
have more manual controls & a swivel LCD) or a Nikon Coolpix 5200 then I'd
consider it. I mean to use it not for "photography" exploits but for more
everyday things--but with this camera being 4 megapixels it would be a cut
above what (say) a Nikon Coolpix 2200 or 3200 would do. (Again close to the
league of something like the Nikon Coolpix 5200 etc would be fine.)

Someone is selling one on the Internet for $120 shipped.

Tips? Opinions? I can find nothing on this at sites like dpreview.com,
megapixel.net, or dcresource.com

LRH

More about : opinions kodak cx6445

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:53:10 AM

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> I'm considering this as a backup for my Canon Digital Rebel. It's a
> consumer-grade 4 megapixel P & S camera.
>
> Obviously I wouldn't consider it in the same grade as cameras like the Nikon
> Coolpix 5400 or 5700, Canon Powershot G3, but if it's in the same league as
> a camera like the Canon Powershot A80 (which is also 4 megapixels, but does
> have more manual controls & a swivel LCD) or a Nikon Coolpix 5200 then I'd
> consider it. I mean to use it not for "photography" exploits but for more
> everyday things--but with this camera being 4 megapixels it would be a cut
> above what (say) a Nikon Coolpix 2200 or 3200 would do. (Again close to the
> league of something like the Nikon Coolpix 5200 etc would be fine.)
>
> Someone is selling one on the Internet for $120 shipped.
>
> Tips? Opinions? I can find nothing on this at sites like dpreview.com,
> megapixel.net, or dcresource.com
>
> LRH

For that price, it would be a good deal.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

> For that price, it would be a good deal.

Hmm, okay. Well, again, my questions are kind of like:

Would you guys/girls etc consider the Kodak CX6445 to be in the same level
of quality & usability as a camera like (say) the Canon Powershot S410,
Nikon Coolpix 4200, Pentax Optio S4, Fuji F440, Sony DSC-P73, cameras like
that? (Or, maybe as a stretch, the Canon Powershot A85?)

In other words, does this model hold its own against other 4 megapixel P&S
cameras of its type like those I listed? Or is it a step-down image-quality
wise etc?

(I realize it might not be in quite the same league as the Canon Powershot
A80, Nikon Coolpix 4300 or an older design like the Canon Powershot
S45--because all of those are 4 megapixels like the Kodak but they have more
manual controls--and in the case of the A80, a swivel LCD as well.)

So, in other words, if a Kodak CX6445 was selling for $120 shipped and a
Sony DSC-P73 (or even the Canon S410) was selling for $120 shipped, would
those be of equal value picture-taking wise and overall usability-wise
(disregarding the smaller size of the S410)?

If not, I'm thinking--maybe a 3.2 megapixel like the Nikon Coolpix 3200
would be better. Someone is selling one of those for $148 shipped. But I
wanted at least 4 megapixels in this case.

LRH
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:01:17 PM

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>

>>For that price, it would be a good deal.
>>

> Hmm, okay. Well, again, my questions are kind of like:
>
> Would you guys/girls etc consider the Kodak CX6445 to be in the same level
> of quality & usability as a camera like (say) the Canon Powershot S410,
> Nikon Coolpix 4200, Pentax Optio S4, Fuji F440, Sony DSC-P73, cameras like
> that? (Or, maybe as a stretch, the Canon Powershot A85?)
>
> In other words, does this model hold its own against other 4 megapixel P&S
> cameras of its type like those I listed? Or is it a step-down image-quality
> wise etc?
>
> (I realize it might not be in quite the same league as the Canon Powershot
> A80, Nikon Coolpix 4300 or an older design like the Canon Powershot
> S45--because all of those are 4 megapixels like the Kodak but they have more
> manual controls--and in the case of the A80, a swivel LCD as well.)
>
> So, in other words, if a Kodak CX6445 was selling for $120 shipped and a
> Sony DSC-P73 (or even the Canon S410) was selling for $120 shipped, would
> those be of equal value picture-taking wise and overall usability-wise
> (disregarding the smaller size of the S410)?
>
> If not, I'm thinking--maybe a 3.2 megapixel like the Nikon Coolpix 3200
> would be better. Someone is selling one of those for $148 shipped. But I
> wanted at least 4 megapixels in this case.
>
> LRH

As nearly as I can tell, you are comparing the CX6445 with cameras
costing several times as much. Compare it with other cameras at the
same price, and it will come out quite well. I use the DX6440 and find
it very nice. I understand the CX6445 is pretty much the same camera
without the manual features (which very rarely use). A 4 mp camera with
4x optical zoom for $120 is a steal.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:01:18 PM

Thanks for the tips. I guess that answers my question--get it.

Thing is, unfortunately (and hearing this pretty good recommendation only
exasperates my feeling this way), the person isn't responding to any of my
messages. They could simply be away from their computer--it's only been a
day, after all--but I don't want to hear from them 5-7 days from now saying
"sorry, forgot to update the site, it was sold" or whatever. (It's at a site
like Fred Miranda--not that particular one, but one like that, which I've
had good experiences at.)

LRH

> As nearly as I can tell, you are comparing the CX6445 with cameras
> costing several times as much. Compare it with other cameras at the
> same price, and it will come out quite well. I use the DX6440 and find
> it very nice. I understand the CX6445 is pretty much the same camera
> without the manual features (which very rarely use). A 4 mp camera with
> 4x optical zoom for $120 is a steal.
> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:59:26 AM

Greetings Larry,

Actually, I believe you are referring to the Kodak DX6440 an advanced
amateur camera that has many features. If you can get one at $120, I would
do it. Nice features and an excellent model. It would be perfect for the
application you have noted. Good luck in your searches. Try visiting the
following web page.

http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6440

If you have questions on this camera let me know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <noone@noone.net> wrote in message
> I'm considering this as a backup for my Canon Digital Rebel. It's a
> consumer-grade 4 megapixel P & S camera.
>
> Obviously I wouldn't consider it in the same grade as cameras like the
> Nikon
> Coolpix 5400 or 5700, Canon Powershot G3, but if it's in the same league
> as
> a camera like the Canon Powershot A80 (which is also 4 megapixels, but
> does
> have more manual controls & a swivel LCD) or a Nikon Coolpix 5200 then I'd
> consider it. I mean to use it not for "photography" exploits but for more
> everyday things--but with this camera being 4 megapixels it would be a cut
> above what (say) a Nikon Coolpix 2200 or 3200 would do. (Again close to
> the
> league of something like the Nikon Coolpix 5200 etc would be fine.)
>
> Someone is selling one on the Internet for $120 shipped.
>
> Tips? Opinions? I can find nothing on this at sites like dpreview.com,
> megapixel.net, or dcresource.com
>
> LRH

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:59:27 AM

Newron wrote:
> Greetings Larry,
>
> Actually, I believe you are referring to the Kodak DX6440 an advanced
> amateur camera that has many features. If you can get one at $120, I would
> do it. Nice features and an excellent model. It would be perfect for the
> application you have noted. Good luck in your searches. Try visiting the
> following web page.
>
> http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6440
>
> If you have questions on this camera let me know.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <noone@noone.net> wrote in message
>
>>I'm considering this as a backup for my Canon Digital Rebel. It's a
>>consumer-grade 4 megapixel P & S camera.
>>
>>Obviously I wouldn't consider it in the same grade as cameras like the
>>Nikon
>>Coolpix 5400 or 5700, Canon Powershot G3, but if it's in the same league
>>as
>>a camera like the Canon Powershot A80 (which is also 4 megapixels, but
>>does
>>have more manual controls & a swivel LCD) or a Nikon Coolpix 5200 then I'd
>>consider it. I mean to use it not for "photography" exploits but for more
>>everyday things--but with this camera being 4 megapixels it would be a cut
>>above what (say) a Nikon Coolpix 2200 or 3200 would do. (Again close to
>>the
>>league of something like the Nikon Coolpix 5200 etc would be fine.)
>>
>>Someone is selling one on the Internet for $120 shipped.
>>
>>Tips? Opinions? I can find nothing on this at sites like dpreview.com,
>>megapixel.net, or dcresource.com
>>
>>LRH

Interesting, Ron, that even you don't seem to know about the CX6445.
It's right there on the Kodak site. Grin.
But I completely agree about the DX6440. I have been quite pleased with
mine.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:25:52 PM

Greetings Ron,

Yes, I forgot about that one. I am home with the flu and trying to keep my
hand in. You got me Ron. I do know about the camera. I believe it was a
special offer camera that came home to Kodak. Still a great deal at the
$120 price.

Talk to you soon, if I am still around. :-)

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!