Sub 1000$ Lab PC

Hello there,

First of all, this is a great forum with so many experts! I stumbled upon it while looking for some Hardware Specs.

I am planing to get a new PC for a VMware Lab purpose. Below is the info about it:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week
Budget Range: Less than 1000 USD
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Making a VMware vSphere Lab (vCenter Server and 2x or 3x ESXi servers over Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 ? as the master OS and VMware Workstation. Or over ESXi itself as the master OS (no need for VMware Workstation or Windows).
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None
Country of Origin: Saudi Arabia
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Quiet PC, good Power Supply, good case, 2x Additional Network Cards (PCI?).

I need:

An Intel CPU with many cores and hyperthreading support
A Good Motherboard
16 GB RAM (4 x 4 GB)
Fast storage (no preferences)
2x Additional NICs

I do not need:

Gaming graphic card
Special sound card

I am grateful for any advice on this!
Many thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about 1000
  1. Hi,

For the CPU I'd look at the new Sandybridge ones, but if you need lots of cores a Xeon might be needed.

Cheers
  2. Martin9630 said:
    Hi,

For the CPU I'd look at the new Sandybridge ones, but if you need lots of cores a Xeon might be needed.

Cheers

Hey Martin,

Will the new Sandybridge meet the sub-1000 USD requirement?

What about an i7 with 4 cores (8 with Hyperthreading)?
    Wnad what about the other specs?

Thank you.
  3. how urgent you need that computer?? not sure but sandy bridge must be fixed in months or couple of weeks if its not already... it performs a lot better...
    with 1000 for budget id say stick with four cores and 8 threads... intel's hexa core cpus are kind of out of your budget... especially those xenons
  4. Ok guys, thanks for you replies.

Again, gaming is not the goal of this PC, the only concern is to build a lab based on VMware Workstation and Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008.

I am a bit confused right now.. I have 3 options:

LGA 1156 - Intel Core i7-8xx - Lynnfield
    With a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 board (Supports 2 Channel DDR3 with 4 DIMM slots)
    This was my original choice, but as I was researching, I found out about the below combinations.

LGA 1366 - Intel Core i7-9xx - Bloomfield
    With a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 board (Supports 3 Channel DDR3 with 6 DIMM slots)
    More expensive than the Core i7-8xx. My concern: I need 16GB of memory, so will I be able to install 4x4GB memory slots here and keep the 3 channel support? What will happen if I do that? Will I have 3x slots running on 3 channels and 1 slot running on 1 channel? Is it better if I go with 3 or 6 slots and not 4?

What will I gain in performance if I go with this combination of CPU+MOBO than the Core i7-8xx + GA-P55A-UD3? Is it significant? Again, gaming is not the goal of this PC, my only concern is to build a lab.

LGA 1155 - Intel Core i7-2xxx - Sandybridge
    With a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 board (Supports 2 Channel DDR3 with 4 DIMM slots)
    The price of this PC is very similar to the Core i7-9xx above. My only concern is the defected Intel Sandybridge CPUs. I am currently residing in Saudi Arabia, and surprisingly I found Sandybridge, but I am doubtful that it might be one of the defected units.

Thanks once again! :)
  5. Anyone please?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build VMware Systems