Sign in with
Your question

What's making it crash? CPU or GPU?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • GPUs
Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2011 11:54:27 AM

Whenever I run a 3D modeling program (Alias/Rhino) and a video at the same time, whether its Hulu or through VLC, my computer freezes eventually, usually within 10 minutes. It's not a complete freeze, everything stutters. The audio will loop the last millisecond of the video and I think the display might as well, but theres nothing I can do but hard reset.

Both my CPU and GPU are fairly old ( HD 3870x2 and Core 2 Duo 6700 2.66ghz). I was wondering if it's my CPU that would be causing this or if it's my GPU.

I have 8GBs of RAM and I don't think it's that the problem as I usually stay at around 2.9gbs and peak at 4, but I guess it's possible.

Please help support my bad work ethics :) 

More about : making crash cpu gpu

a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 12:40:34 PM

Please provide the complete PC specifications along with brand and model. Only then we may be able to help.

Initial suspects would be GPU and PSU.
m
l
June 7, 2011 1:30:42 PM

Okay here it is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 2.66ghz
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 3870x2
RAM: OCZ 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) DDR2 800MHz Gold Series Memory Kit
PSU: PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V
HD: WD 1.5TB 7200RPM
MB: ASUS P5B-E P965 775
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
June 7, 2011 1:39:47 PM

Has it always done this or did it slowly get worse or what?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 2:00:20 PM

If you can try to run the PC without the GPU for a few days and see if the PC keeps freezing or not. Also check if you are on the latest driver or not.

m
l
June 7, 2011 2:09:07 PM

I don't know if it's always done it. It's only in certain circumstances, which is when I'm running a 3d modeling program and watching a video at the same time. I assume nothing is wrong with my computer just that its hitting it's threshold when I multitask these 2 functions specifically (CAD + Video). I just trying to figure out what needs to be upgraded so that my computer can handle it.
m
l
June 7, 2011 2:10:47 PM

Removing the GPU will just restrict me from using any of these programs so I don't think that will solve anything.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 2:14:10 PM

Hmmm.... the only way to pin point the root cause would be to isolate the hardware and use. If there is any ways you can do that then it would be great.

But just one thing... when the PC freezes, what do you do, you get a BSOD? Or you just wait for it to start responding again? Or just press the restart button?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 2:17:24 PM

everybest said:
I don't know if it's always done it. It's only in certain circumstances, which is when I'm running a 3d modeling program and watching a video at the same time. I assume nothing is wrong with my computer just that its hitting it's threshold when I multitask these 2 functions specifically (CAD + Video). I just trying to figure out what needs to be upgraded so that my computer can handle it.

I think your cpu would not be able to cope.Does it run smoothly when your surfing the internet or doing word processing?
m
l
June 7, 2011 2:24:28 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I think your cpu would not be able to cope.Does it run smoothly when your surfing the internet or doing word processing?

Yeah, I have no problem in most programs. I can run SC2 on Ultra at a decent frame rate, nothing really lags.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 2:31:30 PM

everybest said:
Yeah, I have no problem in most programs. I can run SC2 on Ultra at a decent frame rate, nothing really lags.

How is your registry?
Is it clean?Unmanaged registry can also lead to slow computers.
m
l
June 7, 2011 2:37:10 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
How is your registry?
Is it clean?Unmanaged registry can also lead to slow computers.

My computer isn't slow. It just crashes when I use CAD and watch a video. I haven't had a problem with anything else. I think my computer just needs upgrading?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 2:41:46 PM

just crashes.
Sorry i havent been reading.

crashes are also caused by a bad registry and also how does the pc crash?
Is it like a blue screen?Just instantly freezes?
m
l
June 7, 2011 2:55:39 PM

It instantly freezes but the sound freezes too, it just plays the same note repeatedly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 3:05:33 PM

you can try to run furmark.
Since you have problems with video related apps.This tests your vga.
m
l
June 7, 2011 3:07:20 PM

OK thanks for the help, I will give that a try a bit later, I'm gonna head to bed for a bit first :) 

Edit: nevermind, trying it now.
m
l
June 7, 2011 3:15:56 PM

I ran Furmark but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. It ran the rendering which brought temperatures up to 93 degrees or so, I left it running for about 6 minutes and the computer didn't crash.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 3:18:02 PM

everybest said:
I ran Furmark but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. It ran the rendering which brought temperatures up to 93 degrees or so, I left it running for about 6 minutes and the computer didn't crash.

Please leave it on for more than 30minutes that should be minimum requirement.

If you say 93c in 6 minutes then i think we have found your problem, your gpu is overheating.
m
l
June 7, 2011 3:21:42 PM

It goes to 93 degrees within the first 30 seconds but it never went higher, mostly stayed around there. I am running furmark at 1920x1200 resolution.

When I'm running this, it turns the fan on high and its really loud, but when I'm modeling and watching a video when it crashes, the fan is never this loud.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 3:24:15 PM

everybest said:
It goes to 93 degrees within the first 30 seconds but it never went higher, mostly stayed around there. I am running furmark at 1920x1200 resolution.

When I'm running this, it turns the fan on high and its really loud, but when I'm modeling and watching a video when it crashes, the fan is never this loud.

Leave it on as long as 30 minutes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 3:37:41 PM

everybest said:

If it passed 30 minutes of furmark.It means that your hardware is good but it may mean your drivers may have problems.Please update your drivers.
m
l
June 7, 2011 3:45:53 PM

Yep, no problems yet. Is it possible theres nothing wrong, something is just too old to handle the programs I am trying to multitask? Cause thats what I figured in the first place. I just don't know what the bottleneck is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 3:49:57 PM

everybest said:
Yep, no problems yet. Is it possible theres nothing wrong, something is just too old to handle the programs I am trying to multitask? Cause thats what I figured in the first place. I just don't know what the bottleneck is.

yes could be.It also could mean your drivers are outdated.
Both are very possible.You could try to find drivers for your gpu.
Or as you said it could really be too old.
m
l
June 7, 2011 4:25:01 PM

Wats the difference between a CPU and a gpu?
m
l
June 7, 2011 4:51:26 PM

everybest said:
My computer isn't slow. It just crashes when I use CAD and watch a video. I haven't had a problem with anything else. I think my computer just needs upgrading?

Which OS are you running?
I know Vista has a horrible memory usage problem and I had troubles with it kind of like what your saying.
The reg. being clogged is also a good area. I take it your running a 64bit OS right? If not it doesn't matter how much memory you have Vista will just keep eating away at your useable memory until it grinds down to a halt. I went with Win7 and I don't have any of these problems. I'm not a expert on software or how well it can mult task video intense applications. Have you tried running just one of those at a time? I know or think I know that CAD can be very hungry with memory. And windows was never very good at memory use. It's almost normal for it to get worse and worse as time goes on, vista is really bad with this kind of stuff.
Makes me wish OS/2 won out but oh well. XP was more stable than Vista was. It does seem like your video card is dated but I may be wrong but is CAD a 2D video accelerated program? Modern video cards do not do much on the 2D graphics, it loads it off to the cpu and memory so you may be in a tug of war between who gets to use the memory and they both loose the fight making it erratic.
now this is only slightly informed guessing so take it as you will.
m
l
June 7, 2011 4:59:30 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I'm not too sure on how CAD programs run to be honest, but I haven't had any problems running each program one at a time. I can run CAD and Photoshop simultaneously without a problem, for some reason video seems to be the one messing things up. I will keep a closer eye on my RAM usage while running CAD.
m
l
June 9, 2011 2:35:19 AM

Me again, wish I was more experienced with software side but sadly I'm lacking but I'll add something I notice about windows and what I've been told.
Ever notice how windows gets slower and slower and a bit on the buggy side the longer you use it?
My friend says it has a lot to do with DLL files. And as you add and remove programs those pesky DLL files remain and get mixed in with newer ones and older ones that have more and more trouble talking with programs or each other. Can't remember which is the problem of both. When you do a fresh install widows runs very fast and pretty bug free and then gets loaded like it's on drugs.. LOL.. I used to run one install for a while till it got real slow and buggy and then did a format and fresh install and go from there. With Win 98 I did it every 6 months but it got better with XP and then got crazy with Vista but win7 is ok so far.
I don't know if it's the way it works with memory or try's to use the same memory blocks at the same time for different programs running at the same time but I always got the feeling that once it uses a memory address that section is locked up and stays that way until the computer is turned off. Wish I knew this for certain.
I can't say for sure if this is even an issue but I thought I should have added it in my last post but didn't think about it until a hour or so after. Isn't that a drag...
I wonder if keeping the cad side isolated from the other stuff would help in the long run. A duel boot config.
If it's important it might be safer. I also wonder if windows NT or 2000 might be a better OS for that kind of work but I just don't know enough to really help. Just things I picked up along my merry paths through the windows nightmare. Good luck anyway.
Me I always keep everything isolated, games on one HD, movies on another and windows and supporting software on it's own drive as well. And have win7 on one setup and XP on another for older games that seem to work better on it. Well have fun and hope you get to the bottom of the glitches. One reason I liked OS/2 is because you set up each program in it's own memory window and they never got mixed up like windows does. Not that is was perfect but with time I think it would have been a lot better OS but we'll never know.
Windows likes to feel like it is the real owner of the computer and never does things the easy way. But we are stuck with it for better or worse.
m
l
April 23, 2014 3:04:12 PM

Hey guys, I'm wondering if the problem was ever solved...I have very similar problems, when I play SC2 or League Of Legends, after about 30 mins it crashes....I will also run the programs you guys listed to see if any overheating.
m
l
!