CPU fan constantly running at high speeds

pete528

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
hey everyone,

I just built my first PC and am experiencing a problem with the stock fan of my processor (AMD Phenom II X4 955).

basically it runs at an obnoxiously high speed, no matter what I am doing. often times the fan is so loud that i can't even hear music over it and stuff like that.

i installed SpeedFan and checked my fan's settings... when I am doing NOTHING but checking my email or staring at a blank desktop the CPU's temp will be around 39C - 42C and the CPU fan will be going at a crazy speed of 5000+ RPM! Last night the fan was even in the high 6000's.

What I've tried so far:

- I tried making sure the heatsink was connected to the right thing on the motherboard (it seems fine)
- I removed the fan and applied more thermal paste to the CPU. this didn't really do anything.
- I went into the BIOS for my motherboard (asrock m3a770de) and checked to see if Cool'n'Quiet mode was enabled. It was.

My last ditch effort is to go buy a new heatsink but other than that I have no idea what to do. How can I stop this heatsink from running at constant ridiculous speeds?

Thanks for any help!

If C'n'Q is on, have you enabled cpu fan control in bios.

For C'n'Q to work effectively in W7, you must use balanced or energy save power profiles, if you want to have a custom profile, just make a change to one of them you can always set them back to default later.