Two graphics cards, one computer. non sli/physx... realistic?

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I use two monitors, but up until 5 minutes ago when I put my 2nd one in, I didn't realize it increases speed... I mean I know it increased clock speeds a LITTLE.. but enough to increase the temperature 10ºC while IDLE??!?!? Sorry but that's just not gonna fly. So, because of the fact that with a single 25" monitor I idle around 35-36 and with 2 monitors i idle around 47-48, obviously I wanna use a 2nd card... But I don't wanna run sli and it's not a physx card. Point being, is it possible to run 2 cards for different monitors? I have an EVGA GTS450 as my main, and I wanna run an Asus 9600GSO in my 2nd 16x slot. I don't wanna try and screw something up hardcore, so I thought I'd ask real fast first. Possible or just plain stupid to ask?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, you can have two cards installed and still set your desktop up for multiple monitors using the separate cards to drive them.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As I recall, Vista had trouble running different graphics DRIVERS. You could usually get away with two ATI or two Nvidia cards as I recall, but the drivers often didn't work together.

I found a workaround...but it wasn't consistent.